Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 07:47 PM

Default Q3...Awkward position...

I really wanted to CR the flop, but when UTG bet and MP called, I was lost...So I went into default call down mode. Please berate me for how badly this was played.

Both players are loose-passive...MP was like 2.7 postflop.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (7 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 05-23-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Q3...Awkward position...

Not intended to be inflammatory... but the ol' check/call thrice line seems excessively weak to me.

I say check/raise UTG and Button anyway, and bet/fold turn. If flat-called on the turn, I'd value-bet river or check to induce bluffs, depending # of callers and on my read. Given the loose/passive, I'd probably bet/fold the river too.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 PM

I would have lead the flop, because the hand is pretty weak and I would want to see where I am. I think the river is prolly a good place to fold. BB wakes up, he may have missed his draw but I with UTG calling I think it is safe to we are beat.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 PM

The only reason I prefer check/raising to leading this flop is that we can be raised in position by all kinds of things that we're ahead of on this flop, and it'll shut us down on later streets with top pair no kicker.

I like yanking the lead away from them and running with it, ya know?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:49 PM

UTG was very passive postflop. That's why I went for the cr on the flop. I was counting on UTG to check after me as he hadn't been betting at too many pots. I would normally bet into a more aggressive player hoping for a raise to knock out the more aggro MP.

If I bet out, I get a call or two and MP raises where am I? This is what I was trying to avoid by checking going for the CR. Tell me if I'm out of line on my thinking here?

I personally hate the overcall on the river here, but I always kick myself when I don't over call here and I see a busted draw and middle pair showdown...
Old 05-23-2006, 09:39 PM

I see no need to check raise anywhere with your no kicker. Excpet for the flush draw there aren't any other draws so either both of these guys are betting a worse hand or a Q with a better kicker. I don't think a river fold would be bad after you need to overcall.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:37 AM

Bet the flop. If you can't bet your hand when you make it, then fold preflop.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:44 AM

bet the flop, given that you checked, checkraise the flop, given that you check/called the flop, donk the turn, given that you check/called the turn, donk the river.