Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 07:53 PM

Default AK OOP check up.

Sorry if this is extremely standard like I think it is. Just trying to make sure, since I feel like I've been getting more passive since I've been running bad.

Button is roughly 35/18/2.

Right place to fold? ...or fold flop?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.70 BB
Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Default Re: AK OOP check up.

Overs OOP sucks, no matter what. You can't check the flop OOP after capping preflop.

Looks completely fine to me.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:36 AM

Looks good...
Just with the possibility that he may raise the flop with AK, i think it's a good call. And it's a good turn fold.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 PM

I don't like the preflop cap. You are headsup, and while you might be a slight favourite against his 3 betting range, I'd rather not be forced into either: a) making a continuation bet on a flop I miss, or b) checking that flop and giving away my hand.

I think a call of the 3-bet planning to check/call almost any flop is good. This hand is lining up to be WA/WB - consider that line.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:31 PM

What if another player came along?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if another player came along?

[/ QUOTE ]
4 bets. My default is to assume that a player cold calling 3 (or calling 2 out of the big blind) isn't a super savvy player, so I'd like him padding the pot for me.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the preflop cap. You are headsup, and while you might be a slight favourite against his 3 betting range, I'd rather not be forced into either: a) making a continuation bet on a flop I miss, or b) checking that flop and giving away my hand.

I think a call of the 3-bet planning to check/call almost any flop is good. This hand is lining up to be WA/WB - consider that line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else completely disagree with this?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my argument for capping pre-flop.

1. Capping put you in a better position on this Qxx flop. Now we put ourselves in a position to make JJ or TT fold unless Villain has big gorilla nads.

2. Cap is for value against this 18% pfr'er.

3. He may be quicker to release his hand to your flop bet if we both missed.

4. I think you can better understand where you stand if you show uber aggression and continues to match or surpass you post-flop.

-Caddy
Old 05-25-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my argument for capping pre-flop.

1. Capping put you in a better position on this Qxx flop. Now we put ourselves in a position to make JJ or TT fold unless Villain has big gorilla nads.

2. Cap is for value against this 18% pfr'er.

3. He may be quicker to release his hand to your flop bet if we both missed.

4. I think you can better understand where you stand if you show uber aggression and continues to match or surpass you post-flop.

-Caddy

[/ QUOTE ]
Nobody releases JJ TT on this board they call all the way down and might even raise the blank turn.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By not capping preflop you are setting youself up for getting outplayed by something like AJ or another AK.

If villain has AJ, he will bet flop and turn again if you just call and you'll have to fold your AK.
If you cap preflop and bet this Q high flop, it would be very hard for villain to continue.

Plus, it's easier to fold your hand on the turn after you very well defined your hand preflop.