Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: hand vs nate 30 short wynn

i'd agree.
i checkraise the flop and lead/3-bet turn, lead river.
if nate has anything i imagine there's a pretty good chance you get popped on one of the big streets (either on the turn, possibly hoping for a free showdown), or on the river as a value move w/a strong ace.

can't imagine too many lines that would develop where i would end up working a river checkraise in. nate's 3-betting range is too broad here (since you've been opening from the sb 100%), and a wide range means a checked thru river too often i think.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:48 PM

J,

I think the line you took wound up taking was okay, but a flop c/r would probably be better on balance.

You might also want to post the turn card since that affected the action somewhat.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:16 PM

I think CRing the flop is a total action killer if Nate doesn't have an ace. And if he does, we want to get a chance to put in 3-bet on the turn. c-call, bet-raise...

- Jim
Old 05-23-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think CRing the flop is a total action killer if Nate doesn't have an ace. And if he does, we want to get a chance to put in 3-bet on the turn. c-call, bet-raise...

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
Check/raising the flop makes this all more likely, I think. You're not getting in 3-bets on any street if he doesn't have an Ace.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:37 PM

its a 4 handed game. agro player (I assume since 2+2) in sb, nate is prolly 3betting a decent amount with pos. its a blind battle, so you are more likely ot get a call down or played back with, with a c/r

i also think c/c, and then lead turn is okay, because I still think you get raised lighter on occasion, or free showdowned, but if you 3bet, he may fold. so you call and lead river. the river lead and river c/r depends I suppose on what you feel he is doing with a turn raise.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
J,

I think the line you took wound up taking was okay, but a flop c/r would probably be better on balance.

You might also want to post the turn card since that affected the action somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. So I went for c/c donk the turn.

now the turn card is the Qd, making the board Ad8d7cQd and I decided to follow through with the donk/3bet line, but nate folds to the 3bet.

interesting that we got a lot of c/c bet/3bet suggestions, everyone I talked to here no one likes it much. I think it works a lot better online?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
J,

[/ QUOTE ]

now the turn card is the Qd, making the board Ad8d7cQd and I decided to follow through with the donk/3bet line, but nate folds to the 3bet.

interesting that we got a lot of c/c bet/3bet suggestions, everyone I talked to here no one likes it much. I think it works a lot better online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely works better against non-Nates [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. If you notice a post that I made a little while ago, that wonk responded to, this doesn't surprise me. It doesn't make me think that 3-betting the turn was wrong, but I think I would have considered calling the turn bet and donking the river. Him raising here with something marginal to see if you were serious just seems very . . . I dunno, 2+2'ish against another 2+2'er. You foolishly convinced him you had a monster, one street too early.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
J,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You got slightly unlucky here in that I neither had a great kicker with my ace nor a flush redraw (I think my hand was A9 of clubs, although it might have been A6 of clubs), which made it an easyish fold. Still, I like a flop check-raise better here because I'm more likely to play back at you without an ace. I'm definitely doing things like re-popping the flop or turn or even considering calling down blanks with a hand like KQ.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
J,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You got slightly unlucky here in that I neither had a great kicker with my ace nor a flush redraw (I think my hand was A9 of clubs, although it might have been A6 of clubs), which made it an easyish fold. Still, I like a flop check-raise better here because I'm more likely to play back at you without an ace. I'm definitely doing things like re-popping the flop or turn or even considering calling down blanks with a hand like KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah sounds about right. I think mixing up the lines is best, if we'd had much history with you playing back at me preflop/on the flop in the blinds I think the flop c/r is by far better.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:39 AM

I would checkraise that flop every time, with a FD and a possible OESD on the flop, your opponent will be playing back at you with many lesser hands. Checkraising the flop disguises your hand and induces your opponent to spew the most chips.