Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Re: I Hate Phil. (LC)

I was also playing PLO8 $25 today (I play PLO8 seldom these last week), and I saw this guy always raising preflop with a large range of hands.
Each time I saw a guy playing like this before, he finished to loose all his chips. But this guy does not : he seems to be very good playing agressively.

While searching on this forum, BadBeatPhil seems to be Phil153. I thought this guy was playing higher limits. Didn't he ?
I've only played something like 180 hands with him, and he was 44% VPIP and 18% PFR
Old 05-23-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ground Zero will undoubtedly be the PartyPoker $25 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 PM

Niss, it's not that I don't get the point, it's that I feel the point is not necessarily valid in this case.

Yes, people will call your raise (at all levels, not just the $25s) with hands like Phil had here in an attempt to bust your AA. I do it all the time myself (usually with something better than this) if I am reasonably sure that the raiser has AA. You don't need to stack someone very often for it to be a profitable play. The fact that I called the raise gives the raiser absolutely no information about my hand, while I know 50% of his.

At anything below $200 you should be raising AAxx OOP for value, not for isolation, IMO. If you don't feel that AA79 is an exceptionally valuable hand OOP (and I don't) then a raise will not accomplish much of anything for you, other then give you an identified hand in bad position with a big target on your forehead.

Of course, if you can get it all in preflop then that's another story.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not raising your weak aces pre-flop was a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise them PF precisely because they're weak and because I'll be in the worst position possible for the rest of the hand with a tricky player like Phil to act after me. If I don't hit the flop hard then I CF, however weak Aces cease to be weak when you flop the nut flush with them.

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing that even a retard like Dr. Phil does not call a pot-sized pre-flop raise with that garbage

[/ QUOTE ]

Then your guesswork is wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you got stacked with this hand is most likely the result of your failure to raise your hand pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, the fact that I got stacked is God's twisted way of getting me back for taking his name in vain last week. That, and the fact that it's a 100-1 fluke.

In fact, if you had told me PF that I would flop the nut flush and Phil had Kx of the same suit, I would let him come into the hand for free.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was trying to be a jerk, I would have suggested you post this hand in BBV.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't a bad beat post. It's a low content, humorously good natured ribbing post at Phil's expense.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, people will call your raise (at all levels, not just the $25s) with hands like Phil had here in an attempt to bust your AA. I do it all the time myself (usually with something better than this) if I am reasonably sure that the raiser has AA. You don't need to stack someone very often for it to be a profitable play. The fact that I called the raise gives the raiser absolutely no information about my hand, while I know 50% of his.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand how you do not see that this is a primary reason TO RAISE. You believe OP is telling someone he has A-A (although if you play PLO8 correctly, you raise pre-flop with a whole lot more than A-A hands), and yet someone with 3-5-10-Q -- who you are light years ahead of -- is going to call. If you are calling my pre-flop raise knowing I have A-A, and you have this holding, I guarantee you are losing money.

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't feel that AA79 is an exceptionally valuable hand OOP (and I don't)

[/ QUOTE ]

Another reason to raise it.

[ QUOTE ]
At anything below $200 you should be raising AAxx OOP for value, not for isolation

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play this level, so I take your word for it, but this seems like a ridiculous concept.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let that be a lesson to you. If you are going to play a pair of Aces with a 7 and a 9, even suited, you should throw in a large pre-flop raise to get rid of these random hands that can beat you, and to give you a better idea of what you may be up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don’t have to be a deep thinker to figure out why this is not some of your best advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let me dissuade any of you from playing your passive brand of PLO8 that I'm sure works so well. You can play like a little girl and hope a flop hits you, or you can take control of a hand (or a table) and take down pots that miss your opponents. The issue being discussed here is a whole lot bigger than the fact that, in this specific instance, Phil flopped a straight flush while Bruce flopped the A-high flush. It arises in this instance because Bruce might have avoided this circumstance with a raise pre-flop; but the issue is a much broader one. With all due respect, if you are not going to play hands like this aggressively before the flop, then you should not play them at all.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:02 PM

Niss, we are probably just misunderstanding each other. Here is what you said:

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to play a pair of Aces with a 7 and a 9, even suited, you should throw in a large pre-flop raise to get rid of these random hands that can beat you, and to give you a better idea of what you may be up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

My response is that throwing in a large preflop raise will not "get rid of these random hands that can beat you" and will definitely not "give you a better idea of what you may be up against."

About the only thing you can somewhat safely assume when you have AAxx and I call your preflop raise is that I probably don't have AA as well, and there's a much slimmer chance that I have A2 than normal.

But you knew that without raising anyway.

BTW,

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1742408
pokenum -mc 500000 -o8 as ac 7s 9d - 3c 5h td qh
Omaha Hi/Low 8-or-better: 500000 sampled boards
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
As 7s Ac 9d 217743 303491 196509 0 119281 63627 387 0.575
3c Td Qh 5h 142520 196509 303491 0 128941 33538 387 0.425

Add in the fact that I have knowledge of half your hand, and more importantly, position on you. and I'd say we were at least even, if not advantage = me.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:07 PM

I've played many a night at a table with Phil. Phil is able to play tight or slightly maniacish. I've seen him do fantastically well playing very laggish and I've seen him lose several buyins in a short amount of time.

I actually vary whether I will sit at a table with phil depending on the mood I'm in. If I want to play a lot of hands limping... then I avoid phil's tables. If I want to play high variance, all big pots, I'll sit at a Phil table.

And, I don't know that Phil would have folded his hand to a raise by someone he has position on.

On a related note: When Phil has his chat on, its usually amusing. There's a lot of cursing and smack talk at a Phil table. It can be good fun!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:07 PM

niss i think this is a limp from the SB. because folding out most hands is still going to leave you in a bad spot on most flops, OOP with a built pot.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:18 PM

Under the circumstances presented here, I can't see limping with this hand. I c/f on a low flop; and bang it on any other flop, expecting to take it down.

This is why you're having such a terrible May.