Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: How much do you ti[ for Carry Out?

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Important tip. If you've given or received a gift card from any establishment, make sure you don't have to use it relatively soon after it was purchased, lest they shave 'maintenance fees' off the balance of the card each month it's not used.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gift card surcharges piss me off. They've already gotten your money and they want to nickel and dime you out of what you've already had purchased for you.

The only logical defense involves inventory: not knowing when the gift card recipient will actually spend it, probably mostly as it affects the P&L. But gift cards are such a tiny percentage of the rings in any given restaurant anyway that it's ridiculous to penalize them as harshly as they do.

EDIT: I have a lot of friends in the grocery business, and would purchase gift cards for our consultants come holiday time. They let me know the business was appreciated and that the cards counted as a "double ring", meaning they would count as gross sales both when purchased and when used, so even this defense falls flat if restaurants gauge performance the same way.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Important tip. If you've given or received a gift card from any establishment, make sure you don't have to use it relatively soon after it was purchased, lest they shave 'maintenance fees' off the balance of the card each month it's not used.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gift card surcharges piss me off. They've already gotten your money and they want to nickel and dime you out of what you've already had purchased for you.

The only logical defense involves inventory: not knowing when the gift card recipient will actually spend it, probably mostly as it affects the P&L. But gift cards are such a tiny percentage of the rings in any given restaurant anyway that it's ridiculous to penalize them as harshly as they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the worst aspects of working in any sort of customer service jobs: often having to defend the indefensible.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:15 AM

The gift card is the most illogical form of gift giving to begin with. If you aren't going to give a personal gift, why not just give money instead so they can buy whatever the hell the want where they want to buy it. In addition, when you buy one of these things, you have to pay sales tax, and then when someone uses the card to buy goods, they have to pay sales tax on the goods, so you are basically lighting money on fire. Oh wait, I forgot, most Americans are incapable of even the above level of thinking, instead just going for the idea of "giving cash is wrong, don't know why but nobody does it so I won't either."
I can't believe people want to be tipped for take-out. That is [censored]. Tips are for service, and by service, I don't mean handing me a bag or running the cash register. Do you tip at a Mcdonalds? No.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:02 AM

Most of you guys who responded to this are kind of clueless.
Delivery people get paid minimum wage,plus tips. Tip the pizza guy. $2 is fine. Do you really want to piss off someone who is in there car with your food,by themselves?
Moral of the storyull your heads out of your asses and get a clue!
Steve
Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 AM

I didn't realize we we talking primarily about tipping when you go into a restaurant to pick up your food. No tip for that.But not tipping delivery drivers is ignorant.
Steve
Old 05-22-2006, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of you guys who responded to this are kind of clueless.
Delivery people get paid minimum wage,plus tips. Tip the pizza guy. $2 is fine. Do you really want to piss off someone who is in there car with your food,by themselves?
Moral of the storyull your heads out of your asses and get a clue!
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not the reason to tip the driver. If he wants to do something to your food, it will have already been done before you even get the chance to tip. (Things change if you repeatedly order from the same places, though. I don't order in that much myself.)
Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 AM

One guy says he doesn't tip the driver much and you go ahead and make your everyone is ignorant post. Way to generalize MOST of the posters in this thread when less than 1 in 10 isn't tipping the driver as much as you see fit but is indeed tipping him something.

The problem I see is OP is discussing CARRYOUT, where you actually enter the restaurant and pick up your food. And then several people chime in with what they tip the driver. Didn't know carryout places are driving your food to you at their restaurant...