Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 04:46 AM

Default Fold a pair of aces on the flop for one?

No read on Villians

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4BB, 4 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero ...

5:1, but my implied odds suck and I there's a decent chance I'm dominated. Call and reevaluate based on turn action? Just fold it?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Fold a pair of aces on the flop for one?

In this situation I usually call and reevaluate on the turn.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:57 AM

check/call 1 on the flop, bet/fold a non club turn.

folding here for 1, getting 10-1 is mega-weak
Old 05-22-2006, 05:02 AM

You're closing the action, and you will most likely be on the turn too so it'll be hard for you to get caught up putting into too much w/ the worst of it here. Call the flop here and see what goes down on the turn.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:04 AM

where are you getting 5-1??? You are getting 10-1 on a call here

I raise this [censored]. Youve got the best hand a bunch of the time, If you get 3 bet you know exactly where you stand, and if a club falls thats easy to play as well. It also saves you from just calling and re evaluating the turn, which sucks when it checks thru, I guess you could call and donk a non club turn, but I dont really like that.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise this [censored]. Youve got the best hand a bunch of the time, If you get 3 bet you know exactly where you stand, and if a club falls thats easy to play as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too aggressive. We have no kicker and 3 to a flush on the board. Everyone calls our raise because it's 1 bet to everyone. The pot is 4 way, and we are bloating it when:

a) It's very likely we are behind
b) If we are in front, our edge is thin
c) Even if we ARE in front, we can't play it strongly because we are playing a guessing game as to where we stand

Also, stronger hands don't necessarily 3-bet here, so doing this for information isn't valid either. This is particularly true if BB smoothcalls the raise so as to get overcalls from everyone - is he doing it because he's unsure about his hand, or because he wants everyone in with him? It's going to be expensive to find out.

Calling is obvious, and raising pretty much sucks here.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
where are you getting 5-1??? You are getting 10-1 on a call here

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the hand converter origonally said 4 SB not 5 BB on the flop, and I'm not entirely sober, my bad. But def bet out the turn?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 AM

I might bet out the flop and see if BB likes his hand enough to raise it which might have the benefit of knocking out some other players. Of course if he does raise it, he might have a better Ace.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might bet out the flop and see if BB likes his hand enough to raise it which might have the benefit of knocking out some other players. Of course if he does raise it, he might have a better Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm the PFR, i'll raise this with any A, and PP above 99 with a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in it. So of the PFR raises the flop, and everyone else folds, now you have to call down unless a club hits. If a club hits, I'd just check fold.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]If I'm the PFR, i'll raise this with any A, and PP above 99 with a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in it. So of the PFR raises the flop, and everyone else folds, now you have to call down unless a club hits. If a club hits, I'd just check fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I said I might bet out the flop. I might check/fold it too.