Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 03:57 PM

Default KK Hand on 3-flush board: played too passively?

Villain is 16/1.5/2 after about 5 orbits

Does anyone like raising the flop? I simply called to avoid traps (though this was probably unfounded). Also, I'm not really worried about a FD from this guy.

I like calling the turn because I have additional outs. Also, I want to encourage a river bet if I'm still ahead here.

I don't like my decision to check behind on the river. There's no way this guy plays a made flush this way. I think I can be pretty confident I'm ahead, as a bet of 10-15 has a good chance of getting called.

Thanks in advance!

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $48.25
UTG+1: $215.08
UTG+2: $59.73
MP1: $16.25
MP2: $50
Hero: $56.45
CO: $51.55
Button: $45
SB: $46.45
BB: $30.25

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, 6 folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($8.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $5</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($18.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $8</font>, Hero calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($34.75, 2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero checks.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Re: KK Hand on 3-flush board: played too passively?

"To avoid traps" ??? What does this even mean?

why are you not worried about a flush draw? We are ahead almost always on this flop, either vs a flush draw, a hand like ATs, or JJ-QQ (with his stats he is unlikely to raise these pf)

I raise the flop big and hope to get it in here always.

If he calls the raise and the turn comes with a club, both pushing and checking behind are viable.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:04 PM

I think you should have raised the flop to about $15. If he calls you're probably looking at a set. If he fires again on the turn you should probably consider folding. Yes you would have some outs to the second nut flush or another K, but he has everything else including the board pairing, and could possibly have the nut flush. I think AA may be a possiblity too if he's holding the Ace of clubs. I think you're beat and you basically lost the minimum so not too bad IMO.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"To avoid traps" ??? What does this even mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I gave too much emphasis to the fact he's a tight player that's leading into another tight player (me) who raised pre-flop. I could easily see him playing a set this way (though he could also check-raise with a set, I suppose) At any rate, I can understand why a set is far-fatched, given this flop.

[ QUOTE ]
why are you not worried about a flush draw? We are ahead almost always on this flop, either vs a flush draw, a hand like ATs, or JJ-QQ (with his stats he is unlikely to raise these pf)

[/ QUOTE ]

Given his tight nature, I can't see him calling my pf raise OOP with suited junk (though I suppose AT of clubs is possible) JJ is also a possibility, while QQ is less likely IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the flop big and hope to get it in here always.

[/ QUOTE ]

At one time, I would've played it exactly the same way. Perhaps I'm putting too much emphasis on controlling the pot w/ one pair (albeit a very strong pair).

[ QUOTE ]
If he calls the raise and the turn comes with a club, both pushing and checking behind are viable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input. If there's no reason to be worried about a set, then there's no reason not to get the money in.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:55 PM

mayesie- i probably pay off a set on this board (unless I am c/r big on the turn)