Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Chicago area poker - this weekend

Actually, it is 91 miles from the Sears Tower to Potawatomi (according to Yahoo maps.) Depending on the time of day and the construction involved it is a 90 minute + drive from downtown Chicago. And that is driving at the legal limit.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be at Potawatomi (Milwaukee) Friday and Saturday as always. 3/5 NL 600 max. Softest game and best structure in the Chicago area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may head up there the next time I play live. What do they charge for time?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM

I am a limit player, not no limit. But when I was up there this past weekend, I asked about it and was told they use a rake, not a time charge for no limit. If it is the same as their limit games, it would be 10% to a max of $4 per hand.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Big Al is correct. The Potawatomi 3/5NL is a pot rake not a time rake. 10% to $4.

edit:
On another note, I really hope what you guys said was correct about an uncapped NL game going at Resorts on weekends. If its the same donktacular 5/10NL players as normal, with just more chips, that would change my mind about which game is the best in the Chicago area.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:29 PM

the uncapped NL game at resorts isn't exactly the same players...but of course they will be many of the players that play the 5/10 NL because if the uncapped game isn't running, they play 5/10 NL.

In any case, from what i hear, the game runs similar to the 10/25 NL at Trump/MS2/BlueStar. Also, as stated earlier, the uncapped NL game are resorts is scheduled for Mondays and Fridays. If there are any free tables on the other days and enough interest, they will spread the game, but with the popularity of the lower limits, it's usually unlikely.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:51 PM

With the Dan Ryan being down? I haven't even tried to go since then. I used to make that drive on a regular basis. Back then it took me 1 to 1 1/2 hours (during rush) and $6 in tolls round trip.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:55 AM

Ahh, the old grounds. Trump is great if you like the smell of fish and stacks of 20 chips that literally stick together. My friend and I made the drive from the north side of chicago up to Milwaulkee 3 times a week and it was about 1 hour 20. Also, there was a 24 hour starbucks right off the highway in Kenosha that we usually hit up so I was usually driving about 15 over. Be prepared for neverending talk about fishing, hunting, and the packers. Not sure about the NL game but the limit games were always soft.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trump is great if you like ... stacks of 20 chips that literally stick together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trump broke out clean, new, reserve chips in about December or January. They did not stick together. Then, in March, those chips were replaced by new Majestic Star chips. While these chips are still relatively new, they are well on their way to the sticky stackable condition!

As for an alternative to the Dan Ryan, try Lake Shore Drive to the Museum of Science of Industry, around the bend to Stoney Island and then to the Skyway.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:23 AM

I play at Resorts quite a bit and the Ryan really hasn't been that bad (but don't tell anybody or it will be -lol)
Old 05-21-2006, 06:56 AM

I agree with Kevin about the Ryan. WBBM-AM 780 does a very good job on letting you know how the traffic is moving.