Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Default VA-Reckless Driving by Speed

I got nabbed by a State Trooper on I-77 in Wythe Co. for doing 83 in a 65. I was a little surprised when he handed me a reckless driving (A1 misdemeanor) summons instead of a ticket. I figure I'm probably going to have to get a lawyer for this one. Any one ever got one of these before? How easy are they to plea down, get reduced, make go away altogether, etc. My court date is in August, any chance of getting this thing disposed of before then?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: VA-Reckless Driving by Speed

If you get a speeding ticket over 81 in VA you get a summons for this. I never got one but I have heard cases of people getting out of them, or having them plea down.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:22 PM

Yes, I've been convicted of reckless in VA. I was going > 120 so my situation was different. Get a lawyer and you should be able to get it reduced to basic speeding barring any unmentioned details.

I'm surprised the officer did not write it at 79 mph, they generally will do that. You will not make it go away and as license revocation and jail (highly unlikely) are possibilities, it is time for a lawyer unless you have very little money.

In my case I lawyered up and was content to keep my license. I think the whole thing cost me about $1K but it was a long time ago.

J
Old 05-18-2006, 01:26 PM

I had an 85 in a 55 in Indiana when I was 16. The Court appearance basically amounted to me saying "How about 79?" and the Judge saying ok, but I better not see you in here again.
It was a preliminary hearing and its just isn't worth their time to bring the officer in a second time, they'd rather just take the money and be done with it. If VA is anything like IN, then getting a lawyer is overkill.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:58 PM

lol @ Wythe county. just passing though, I hope.

anyway, if you show up and have a decent record, there is a good chance you can have them knock it down to a regular speeding ticket (w/o getting a lawyer).

In VA, anything 80+ on the highway is reckless.

ness
Old 05-18-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised the officer did not write it at 79 mph, they generally will do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not on BMWs with Connecticut plates.