Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Rugby World XV of last 15 yrs...

Heres mine...

15. C. Cullen - When at his best he was great, couldn't think of a better 15 i've seen.

14.R. Caucaunibuca - Some freakish telents, plays 11 but im sure he coule play 14 too, and I couldnt leave out Jonah, other close contenders were Kirwin, Wilson, Habana.

13. B O'Driscoll - Very good player, other contenders were Umunga, Bunce, Sella, Mortlock

12. T. Horan - Great 2nd 5/8, I think easily the standout of the last 15 yrs.

11. J. Lomu - Had defiencies in his game, but in his prime was devastating and did it on the biggest stage in 2 world cups. Also liked Roff and Campo

10. D. Carter - Hasnt been on the internation scene, but what he's shown so far has been good enough, and with a backline like this you wouldnt want a kicking 1st 5/8 although he cld do that well too if needed. Other contenders, Larkam, Wilkinson, Mehrtens, Spencer, Lynagh, Fox.

9. J. van der Westhuizen - Not a lot of real standouts, but always liked the way Joost played.

8. Z Brooke - I think the best all round numbr 8 of the last 15 yrs, was also a fan of Kefu.

7. Macaw - Maybe not the best 7, but couldn't leave him out, the best could be who I have at 6, but found it hard to leave either one out, also a big Smith and Mange fan.

6. M. Jones - Great player.

5. V. Matfield - I dont think theres been a lot of great locks over the last 15 yrs, Matfirld looks as good as anyone.

4. J Eales - Very good player, also a backup goal kicker for the team.

3. O Brown - Im don't know a lot about props, but Brown was always highly rated, maybe could be Haymen there in a few yrs.

2. S. Fitzpatrick - Easy choice.

1. C Dowd - Hard to coose this one, decided to keep that AB front row in tact.

Reserves.

J.Wilson

S. Larkham

A. Pichot

G. Smith

M. Johnson (needed a token pom)

C. Hayman

P. Kearns

Coach: Rod Maqueen

Captain: Hard to choose out of Fitzpatrick, Eales, O'Driscoll, and Macaw (who will become a very good captain), the 4 can share the role.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Rugby World XV of last 15 yrs...

I know nothing about rugby, I have seen maybe a half dozen games in my life as it isn't on TV in the states, although I think it is an awesome sport and have a lot of respect for it. Anyway, they name the players by number like in basketball with that many on the field at once? Wow.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Rugby World XV of last 15 yrs...

[ QUOTE ]
Heres mine...

15. C. Cullen - When at his best he was great, couldn't think of a better 15 i've seen.

14.R. Caucaunibuca - Some freakish telents, plays 11 but im sure he coule play 14 too, and I couldnt leave out Jonah, other close contenders were Kirwin, Wilson, Habana.

13. B O'Driscoll - Very good player, other contenders were Umunga, Bunce, Sella, Mortlock

12. T. Horan - Great 2nd 5/8, I think easily the standout of the last 15 yrs.

11. J. Lomu - Had defiencies in his game, but in his prime was devastating and did it on the biggest stage in 2 world cups. Also liked Roff and Campo

10. D. Carter - Hasnt been on the internation scene, but what he's shown so far has been good enough, and with a backline like this you wouldnt want a kicking 1st 5/8 although he cld do that well too if needed. Other contenders, Larkam, Wilkinson, Mehrtens, Spencer, Lynagh, Fox.

9. J. van der Westhuizen - Not a lot of real standouts, but always liked the way Joost played.

8. Z Brooke - I think the best all round numbr 8 of the last 15 yrs, was also a fan of Kefu.

7. Macaw - Maybe not the best 7, but couldn't leave him out, the best could be who I have at 6, but found it hard to leave either one out, also a big Smith and Mange fan.

6. M. Jones - Great player.

5. V. Matfield - I dont think theres been a lot of great locks over the last 15 yrs, Matfirld looks as good as anyone.

4. J Eales - Very good player, also a backup goal kicker for the team.

3. O Brown - Im don't know a lot about props, but Brown was always highly rated, maybe could be Haymen there in a few yrs.

2. S. Fitzpatrick - Easy choice.

1. C Dowd - Hard to coose this one, decided to keep that AB front row in tact.

Reserves.

J.Wilson

S. Larkham

A. Pichot

G. Smith

M. Johnson (needed a token pom)

C. Hayman

P. Kearns

Coach: Rod Maqueen

Captain: Hard to choose out of Fitzpatrick, Eales, O'Driscoll, and Macaw (who will become a very good captain), the 4 can share the role.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent choices mostly, though you are a bit kiwi/SH-centric. Easy to get that way when we're fed a solid diet of super 12/trinations and a very All Black friendly media. Much the same as Englishmen who sincerely argue Neal Back is the greatest openside who ever lived (WTF?).

Heres where I'd differ with you...

I'd go with Wilkinson at first five, just ahead of Carter, though I have high hopes Carter will finish a far superior player (and with at least as many world cup trophies). That said, with the amazing firepower you have outside in this lineup, Carter might be the better fit.

Gregan probably gets the nod over Joost, if barely. I don't like the guy, but he's been an amazing player for a very long time.

I'd also probably be tempted to put Gavin Hastings in for Cullen. Cullen was the superior attacking force, but Hastings had an awesome all round game.

I think Jason Leonard has to get a look in for one of the propping spots, with over 100 tests for what was in all fairness a very good English forward pack, and would probably stick Johnson into the starting 15 ahead of Matfield.

Biggest miss though, Josh Kronfeld! Awesome openside for a long time, and for total value ahead of McCaw for now. Very tough for a Crusaders fan to be kicking out the two Cantabs...

All very subjective of course...