Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Discovery Channel: \"Deadliest Catch\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had friends that worked swordfish boats back when I was a commercial fisherman. As I recall, the season was like three months and they made around $150k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that 150K each or per boat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Each. There was a ton of competition to get on the boats. Both the sons of the guy that ran the boat I worked on worked swordfish boats. He couldn't because he was a narcoleptic. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2006, 02:18 PM

They've been showing this season in 3 segments with the type of crab. The first season of King Crab had some of the workers making $40k each at the end of the 2 weeks or so. There were 2 boats that made about $40k each for a full share and then the others dropped into the mid-high $30's.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:24 PM

Yeah, I love this show.

I had a friend in college that worked on an Alaskan salmon boat one summer. He made $25k for 8 weeks or so. This was 1983, so this was big money. Said it was extremely hard/smelly/nasty work, and that he spent most days working 10 hour shifts in the hold of the ship, processing fish. Although the cash was great he didn't want to do it again. He said the worst was when the fish would get jammed up in the chute that lead down to the processing area: someone would have to climb up into the chute and dislodge the obstruction, and that person would get buried in fish, like something out of a Warner Brothers' cartoon.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had friends that worked swordfish boats back when I was a commercial fisherman. As I recall, the season was like three months and they made around $150k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that 150K each or per boat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Each. There was a ton of competition to get on the boats. Both the sons of the guy that ran the boat I worked on worked swordfish boats. He couldn't because he was a narcoleptic. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2006, 08:12 PM

finally a program that shows the upside of catching crabs.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:40 PM

This show is definitley awesome. The pay sounds incredible but you have to pay your dues first. Greenhorns-don't get a percentage of the catch and IIRC only make about a grand a week. No idea how long till you earn your fair share, but they've shown one captin who dosen't want to pay his own son a full share untill he gets more experience on the boat.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember the exact numbers, but on season one of the series, didn't the boat that made the most money make 500k for the captain/owner, and each of the crew made 25k? All of that for what, five days?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought $500k was roughly what the entire boat was netting. I figured the captain was getting 20-40% of that. Maybe I lost track of the numbers though.