Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Default AQs against a weird push from a 2+2er

Villain in this hand is Jcardshark, who I recognize as FieryJustice. He has made this push once already from EP, he wasn't called. Can I call here? Whats a reasonable range for him?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t50443)
CO (t16783)
Button (t75470)
SB (t48558)
BB (t52921)
UTG (t42491)
UTG+1 (t30929)
Hero (t79102)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t42491</font>, UTG+1 folds.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Re: AQs against a weird push from a 2+2er

This is from the later stages of the Stars 35k guaranteed, 18 till the money.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 PM

Baking Ace,

I'd want a read here(TAG, LAG, etc...). Also, for the MTT please post the SB and ante with big blind. A number of the higher skilled players use the M(Total Stack/(BB + SB + Ante)) to determine how aggressive they will be at any given stage of the tournament.

That information would give me a better chance at figuring out the villain's hand range.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:34 PM

It says the BB in the OP (3000) the ante is 150. His M is about 9, and he is a solid player so I would expect him to bet big hands for value (I had seen him make a standard raise UTG with the same relative stack).

He had been playing relatively TAG, stealing his share of blinds but not getting out of line.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:52 PM

easy call

he's not playing AA or KK this way, and most likely not QQ either. so generally speaking you're at WORST a race, at best you have him dominated.

-Scott
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 PM

sobe,

You dont put AK as part of his range? I dont think this is 'easy'.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easy call

he's not playing AA or KK this way, and most likely not QQ either. so generally speaking you're at WORST a race, at best you have him dominated.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold. He is not doing this with AJ either. You are behind whatever he has. He has TT-QQ or AK.

I pushed for 12xBB UTG with AKs in the 2+2 freeroll and Chief called me with AQo. Don't make this call against someone who knows what hands to push.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It says the BB in the OP (3000) the ante is 150. His M is about 9, and he is a solid player so I would expect him to bet big hands for value (I had seen him make a standard raise UTG with the same relative stack).

He had been playing relatively TAG, stealing his share of blinds but not getting out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a nitpicker but, I'd like a read on the opponent at least. The M and my read on the player is what helps me put an opponent on a hand range. I saw your OP and it only listed BB when I read it.

My probable hand range on this opponent is 77 to JJ(on pocket pairs) that he would be raising with. AKo is another hand I'd consider as a possibility. The way he is playing I think AA and KK are out of the question with his all in raise. QQ might be a small possibility.

However, my impression is that the villain is trying to play hands he is willing to race with. Mostly he'd prefer to take down the blinds without a confrontation since everyone is close to being in the money.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sobe,

You dont put AK as part of his range? I dont think this is 'easy'.

[/ QUOTE ]

no. if its a 2p2er, he should be able to play AK for value, instead of trying to just pick up the blinds.

one thing I hate is watching people turn premium hands into 72.

-Scott
Old 05-17-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a nitpicker but, I'd like a read on the opponent at least. The M and my read on the player is what helps me put an opponent on a hand range. I saw your OP and it only listed BB when I read it.

My probable hand range on this opponent is 77 to JJ(on pocket pairs) that he would be raising with. AKo is another hand I'd consider as a possibility. The way he is playing I think AA and KK are out of the question with his all in raise. QQ might be a small possibility.

However, my impression is that the villain is trying to play hands he is willing to race with. Mostly he'd prefer to take down the blinds without a confrontation since everyone is close to being in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Successful TAG 2+2er" isn't read enough for you? He went all in, what kind of read am I supposed to have?