Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: 50/100 hand against mahatma at UB

Is he playing fast or super fast? Although he seems to be playing faster than usual of late, I think this is a fold.

He isn't value betting either, he has air, or a very, very good hand. Hero's hand is pretty well defined, and unless his hand reading is way off at the moment, PF should have a pretty good idea where he's at. This move on this board probably isnt a play, other textured boards would be different. Looks like QJ/set.

edit:
Then again, Ive seen him push on some boards where I thought it was quite obvious the other guy hit. Still think its a fold though.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:58 AM

Are you guys who are laying down AK here also laying down AA?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was thinking the same. either he is bluffing or he has QJ i can not imagine he would play a set like this.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 AM

Actually.. A-A might be the only other hand I can see him playing this way.

He either has A-A or A-K, IMO. The way Hero played it, he has to be absolutely certain Hero doesn't have Q-J.

To "TheWorstPlayer"'s question on if we'd fold A-A here.. I'd never put myself in the position here with A-A.. I'd surely be all in on either the flop or turn with it.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was thinking the same. either he is bluffing or he has QJ i can not imagine he would play a set like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. But if we're really laying down the second nuts to him here, when he is the most aggro overbettor in the game, wow - what power. It's a good thing I will never ever come close to sitting in this game. But if I were forced into OP's position, I think I'm pushing the turn. Just seems from railbirding that SR is pushing the river here around 80% of the time after leading into the pfr for full pot on the turn. Saw him do it in a similar spot for around $15K a day ago into a $5K pot with 63o. No hand, no draw whole way. Anyways...FWIW, I fold this river. With AA, too. QJ just seems too likely. Despite the fact that he can obviously make this play with a lot of bluffs.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually.. A-A might be the only other hand I can see him playing this way.

He either has A-A or A-K, IMO. The way Hero played it, he has to be absolutely certain Hero doesn't have Q-J.

To "TheWorstPlayer"'s question on if we'd fold A-A here.. I'd never put myself in the position here with A-A.. I'd surely be all in on either the flop or turn with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its teh same chance hero would play QJs like this has villian would play AA like this.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:34 AM

Well obviously he either has the nuts or air, and he knows you have a big hand which you may or may not fold. So just think about what you would do, and then do the opposite. (for example, if you normally would call, fold, and if you normally fold, call) because Spirit Rock has probably figured you out and knows what you'll do, and he's either bluffing because he knows you'll fold AK or value-pushing because he knows you'll call with AK. so just do the opposite of what your play style dictates.

If you play against him a lot this hand is a pretty much routine coin-flip at the highest levels.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 AM

Call. Of course you call. Folding is terrible.

Edit: Figured I was going to have to explain that sometime so here it is: This is not 5-10 6-max amateur hour against a bunch of nut-peddlers who like to "get wild" by semibluff-raising the turn once a night. This is hard-core aggressive shorthanded nosebleed no limit. Your default is to call. Against one of the most aggressive sane players in the game, who also has a hugely exploitable habit that he pushes all in way too often when he senses weaknes, you must call. If you do not make that call you really have to quit that game. If you have to think about it much it's time to end the night.

What were you thinking when you slowplayed your hand? Were you planning to fold when you hit? I am just trying not to throw up here thinking about this. No offense and all but DAMN. The advice in this thread is just .... sputtering ... awful.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call. Of course you call. Folding is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, Matt. That was my first thought, and then I read the responses to the thread and felt like I was in the [censored] Twilight Zone...

Mike

edit: I see you that you gave a little explanation as well. Here is my addendum to that. Part of the reason that this guy wins is because some people will actually fold here. Think about it this way. If you need more than top two to call an all-in here against this guy in a five-handed game, you're going to go broke before you have a chance to win a pot...

edit 2: I don't care if the actual result ends up being that Hero lost to QJ.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:40 AM

Your advice is frightening, and very wrong.