Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Huge Error

It's not clear from your post where the raise is coming from. "2 in front of BB" preflop sounds like the button to me (An EP player would be "2 behind").

You're right about positions, but he also said he himself was in late position and acted after the raiser. Thus my interpretation was that he meant 2 seats to the left of the blinds.

No matter how innacurately a newbie might articulate position at the table, they usually know if they were in a blind.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:03 PM

you have to give him a chance to fold, which he won't do for another 450.

If the pf raiser had a brain (huge assumption, I know), he wouldn't fold any hand he raised from EP getting 2:1 to a short-stack who pushed.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:44 PM

I did essentially the same thing last night but with the opposite chip stacks, and I think it was the right move based on the information at the time. UTG was short stacked with M=7 and raised 2.5BB. It was folded to me on button. I had M=25 with 99. I put him all-in and he called and turned over aa.

When EITHER player has a shorter stack, particularly M<5 (not quite my example) the standard raising and re-raising hand should be significantly expanded. He was about to lose 20% of his stack on the blinds and he should have been playing many lesser hands at this point. If you include pairs aa-55 or 2 broadway cards then 99 is a coinflip all-in.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:16 AM

Not an unreasonable move in that situation. I don't know what reads you had on the player but you are likely ahead of his range in this situation, and you don't have enough chips to do anything other than move in.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well I did and he called turning over AA and of course there was no help from the deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The result is irrelevant. You were short stacked and had a hand. You made the only play you could. Did I remember that the result is irrelevant?

Regards,

T
Old 05-19-2006, 04:59 AM

I dont really know, but it feels you would either be a small favorite or big dog. But without any reads on opening raiser who knows.

Still i think its not a big mistake if any. Shortstacked as you are you cant really do much. Either call to check the flop or raise and if you are raising you are forced to put it all in.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:34 AM

Complelety agree here, you have got to make a move with the Blinds pressing down on you.