Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Strategy to the steps!

I know some of you are very familiar with the wsop step tournaments, and some like citanul have managed to win a seat through them.

I'm going to try to give those steps a try. I've played the $10 and $50 SNG before so i'm familiar with them, and happy with my strategy in them, but i've never played anything higher. i was wondering what, if any, differences in strategy are there as the buy ins get higher, and if there are any that are specific to the wsop step tournaments.

thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Strategy to the steps!

well, the basic satellite strategy that i love to hear posted is "don't be last in chips." my wsop step strategy was "don't be last in chips, get to where there's some bubbles to abuse, and try to abuse them, then usually wind up with fewer chips heads up than my opponent because i try to play pretty low risk, and then play better heads up than my opponents and/or get lucky."

hope that helps?

citanul
Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Strategy to the steps!

so essentially you played a safe game till bubble time, then you got aggressive around the bubble, and then didn't get too involved until HU and attempted to outplay with less chips? That's essentially what i did in step 1, i just wasn't sure if that would work as the quality of play got much better at the higher steps.

any other specific overall strategy for the higher buy-in SNGs that i might not have picked up on playing the $10s and $50s?