Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 05:57 AM

Default Huge Error

Last night I overplayed a hand horribly,

I was taking part in a $10 rebuy.

I saw nothing for the first hour and as the rebuy closed my stack was 2100 chips, average about 3200.

In the freezeout period I saw nothing for 1/2 hour before picking up 99 in late position.

Blinds were now 200/100 and my stack was at around 1800.

A guy 2 in front of the BB raised to 550 total, fearing my only good hand would be crushed on the flop I moved all in, hoping to push him off a hand. (I had him on AK-AJ).

I figured raising to 1000 would only leave me 800 in chips to manouvere and I may have to fold if the flop hit any paint. Should I have folded or just called and folded to any paint?

Let me know, and no abuse i realise it was an awful move.....
Old 05-17-2006, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Huge Error

I can't see how this was a mistake. When you have 9 big blinds left you should be playing for your stack when you decide to play a hand. Moving all in is definitely the right move here.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:38 AM

Well I did and he called turning over AA and of course there was no help from the deck.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 AM

With 9 big blinds in your stack, your only reasonable move is all-in unless you were in the big blind in which case a stop-and-go (call preflop and go all-in on any flop) is reasonable.

Your only choice here depends on your read on the raiser. Sounds like he was in EP or MP1, so unless he was raising a lot OOP, you have to think that the best situation with 99 would be a coinflip against 2 overcards.

Not a terrible move, but I'd almost rather push first-in with any 2 cards, than push over the top of an EP raiser with anything less than AA-QQ, AK.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:12 AM

Where's the error?

Edit - oh I see, the error was not lagging it up in the rebuy period to build a big stack. eh, sometimes you just got to go into the freezeout phase short.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well I did and he called turning over AA and of course there was no help from the deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

nm, the error is results oriented thinking.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:18 AM

i guess im probably pushing. dont bother leaving anything back with that short a stack.
you're only calling it an awful move because you lost. dont be so results oriented

your biggest mistake was posting this in the wrong section.

also i dont know what '2 in front of the BB means'.
bb is big blind (BB is big bet) and 2 in front, im not sure if thats UTG+1 or button.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 AM

I think the biggest mistake you can make is dwelling on this one hand.

Better issues to address are:

1) Did you play too tight during the rebuy period?
2) After the rebuy was over, did you take the add-on if there was one?
3) After the rebuy period, did you try to steal the blinds at all?

Tight play usually doesn't fare too well in multis, especially rebuys. Maniacs do much better in tourneys than rocks.

You didn't make a huge mistake on this last hand. I wouldn't have done it against an EP raiser (no fold equity), but i probably would've pushed any 2 earlier and been out already.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 AM

Not an awful move at all. If you're going to play w/ that hand, you have to give him a chance to fold, which he won't do for another 450.
As for folding, it seems that the tournament still has a long way to go and your chip position is not very good. Do you really want to preserve your stack and get grinded out in 2 hours. Wouldn't you rather take a stand. It's better to bust now than finish just off the money.
If you had more chips, or if the tournament was in a later stage, the story'd be different. But given these circumstances, I think a push was probably the best play.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:43 PM

It's not clear from your post where the raise is coming from. "2 in front of BB" preflop sounds like the button to me (An EP player would be "2 behind"). If he is in late position, your push is completely reasonable. Even against an EP raiser, I'm fine with it, unless the player was very tight. It sounds like your table image would be as a tight player, as you have played very few hands so far, so you do have good fold equity.

There are a couple of mistakes you did make though. You don't post what type of player the PR raiser was - loose or tight, aggressive or passive? Reads like these are important. Your second mistake was putting him squarely on a very narrow range of hands... it's not clear to me why you put him specifically on a big Ace hand.