Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 01:51 PM

Default A hand with Ethics

I was playing in a 5-10 nl side game at the PCA event. First off a little history. The guy to my right(professional, I don't remember his name) and I have been talking quite a bit respecting each others play. A couple hands before this one I flop two pair against him and he has a flush draw and lays it down on the turn to my pot size bet of 75 with only about 125 behind me. He shows me his hand and I show him my hand. Then he asks the dealer to see the river and the dealer shows and he would have got the flush. He says to me it would be wrong to call and try to bust me. It would have been a -EV situation anyway. He says he's been playing a few of his hands soft against me (I do believe) but I've been ahead nearly every time anyway.

Now the hand. I have Q5 in the big blind and 4 people limp around and the pro calls in small blind and we see a flop of 5d 5x 10d. The pro (somewhat aggressive) leads out for 30 and I raise to 90. One guy calls and then the pro calls. Pro checks, I bet 225 with 250 behind. The random guy folds and then the pro says to me "how bout you just pull back to 225 and play the small pot." Now he and I both know we have a 5 and I definetely put him on 65 or 75. I think for a couple seconds and a few people say I can't pull out the money and I just say leave it in and let's play out the hand how it is suppose to be. River is a Q (he's in small blind, I'm in big) as soon as the river is revealed he flips over 75 and checks. I looked over to him and said why did you do that. I pushed in sympathetically and told him to fold I have you beat. He calls anyway and kind of gets angry. He says I made a greedy play. This entire situation confuses me and I still don't think he should have done what he did but I am unsure if I was an a$$ for going all in especially since he probably knows he is behind. What do you guys think of the entire situation?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Re: A hand with Ethics

Tripster you did what you had to do poker is a cut throat sport you did what any real professional would have done. You can be friends with someone but once you two are sitting at the table you need to push those feelings aside.

I think he was being immature expecting you to be nice to him. If anything it was one of his tricks of the trade to befriend you seeing as you had position on him.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 PM

I guess by "pro" you mean professional angle shooter. This guy isn't your buddy, he just wants you to softplay him. His call on the river there shows exactly why he needs you to softplay against him. Be friendly but firm; explain that you want to play all the hands out and you're not interested in checking down or playing soft against anyone.

SpaceAce
Old 01-11-2006, 02:14 PM

that guy sounds like a real piece of [censored].
Old 01-11-2006, 02:29 PM

You're in the right, he's in the wrong. Also, I don't know what the right forum for this would be but I'm pretty sure this is the wrong one.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pushed in sympathetically and told him to fold I have you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. You're not playing here to make friends and softplay one another. Your goal is to make money.

You even warned him and he still called. He has no right to be upset. He is a professional; he should know better. His saying you made a greedy play makes no sense to me. You have the better hand. Why wouldn't you push all in? Because you hate money?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:40 PM

Stop playing like a vag and this won't happen again. By vag, I mean stop trying to think about the feelings of the people you are trying to break.