Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 PM

Default Busted Draw...good spot for river raise?

Party 10-20 full ring. Villain and I both have 2k. I have logged around 3,000 hands with villain and he is a solid tag (VPIP-20, PFR-6, AF-2.5). I noticed that his aggression factor on the river is 7 and thought this might be a good spot for a raise on the river. This make any sense? I figured his small river bet was usually a block, and occasionally a monster begging for a reraise. Villain probably views me like himself, but a little tighter and more aggressive. I doubt he would expect me to make this river raise without a legit hand very often.

What hands can I get to fold with this raise?

What should I expect to get called down with?

Is this + expected value given my relatively tight image?

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $10/$20
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($, 3 players- Main pot: $)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $45</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($90, 2 players- Main pot: $)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $125</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $250</font>, Hero calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($590, 2 players- Main pot: $)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $200</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $900</font>

*** Edited out results. I'm stupid and am new at using the hand converter. Thanks jkrantz.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Busted Draw...good spot for river raise?

Don't show results, edit them out
Old 05-16-2006, 01:32 PM

This is my second post in this forum that has gotten no real substantive responses. Granted, it has only been one hour this time, but as my posts moves onto the second page I fear it disappearing from the board's consciousness. I'm trying to figure out what makes this post less interesting to the board than others. Is it too standard, obvious, clearly bad or good? Anyways, if there's no interest that is cool, but any feedback on how to improve my posts would be great so that I don't continue making posts that are of little interest.

Thanks,

Chise
Old 05-16-2006, 02:23 PM

I probably would have cheked the turn, because half the deck can help you on the river, unless, you specifically know that this players options range from 1) Folding 2) Calling 3) Minreraising and you think option 1 is very possible.

As far as the river raise is concerned, it's definitely badass, but I'm not sure it works in this situation. If the BB had 96 or 94 or something like that, then you will get a fold. A bluff will be folding too. But I think you'll also see a hand like a straight or trip 7's or something crazy enough, and they won't love calling, but they'll do it.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:35 PM

It looks reasonable to me. You've repped strength every step of the way, betting every time you have a chance; you're now repping a boat, and his bet looks like a block with something like 88 or a weak 9.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:47 PM

yea i like it. seems his line would include enough strange hands that will auto fold, some medium hands with a strange line, and you may even get a fold from a straight.