Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: At Commerce this weekend

"In the 9-18 you have the opportunity to laydown almost every second best hand you make. You can showdown a loser after putting in a river bet under two times per session, easily. And that's if you're not playing your best."

This sounds like valuable advice, so I'd really like to understand it. What does it mean?

Also, I may be at Commerce this Friday nite, but have never played 9-18. How much $$ would be reasonable to bring? I bring 15 BB when I play 6-12 up North.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 PM

Fifteen bets is just a few hands and is too little money to bring. If you mean buy-in for 15 bets, that's fine. But you should be prepared to lose at least 30 bets before you call it a night, and if you don't leave or play bad when losing, you will definitely rack up 50 bet losses upon occasion.

My comment wasn't really advice, I just disagree with csuf's comment about paying off with sick hands. If you read hands well, you can fold just about every time you would have to pay off in an online game. You can go months without paying off a losing set. However, csuf did indicate that he seeks out the loosest, most aggressive game so our experiences could differ drastically as those are not the games I would seek out.

-Michael
Old 05-15-2006, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"In the 9-18 you have the opportunity to laydown almost every second best hand you make. You can showdown a loser after putting in a river bet under two times per session, easily. And that's if you're not playing your best."

This sounds like valuable advice, so I'd really like to understand it. What does it mean?

Also, I may be at Commerce this Friday nite, but have never played 9-18. How much $$ would be reasonable to bring? I bring 15 BB when I play 6-12 up North.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, 15 BB at the Commerce 9-18 is going to go quickly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"a lot of dum fugs will donkey raise the turn and/or the river"

I guess I must fold too much, but I doubt it.

"and you have to be able to make some sick call downs"

In the 9-18 you have the opportunity to laydown almost every second best hand you make. You can showdown a loser after putting in a river bet under two times per session, easily. And that's if you're not playing your best.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense but i have no idea what the hell you just said.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My comment wasn't really advice, I just disagree with csuf's comment about paying off with sick hands. If you read hands well, you can fold just about every time you would have to pay off in an online game. You can go months without paying off a losing set. However, csuf did indicate that he seeks out the loosest, most aggressive game so our experiences could differ drastically as those are not the games I would seek out.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.

there are 3 hands in which i will never forget. 3 really horrendous folds in big fugging pots. i try to forget about it but it still stings everytime i think about it. i won't bore you guys with the details unless someone is interested.

what exactly are the types of games you seek out.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol 15bb, haha. That'll last you like 3 hands, no joke.

i bring AT LEAST $1,200 to do battle in that game. Most of the time, i'll have like 3G's just to feel safe.

inital buy in of $600(30bb). If im dipping towards $300, ill rebuy for another $300. And if im dipping again towards $300, i rebuy for $300 again. So on and so on, you have to be willing to rebuy in that game.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lol 15bb, haha. That'll last you like 3 hands, no joke.

i bring AT LEAST $1,200 to do battle in that game. Most of the time, i'll have like 3G's just to feel safe.

inital buy in of $600(30bb). If im dipping towards $300, ill rebuy for another $300. And if im dipping again towards $300, i rebuy for $300 again. So on and so on, you have to be willing to rebuy in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above.

The $9-18 at Commerce has way too many swings to sit down with a short BR. $1500+ swings have happened to me lots in one session. 100+ BB long term swings have happened quite a bit as well.

As far as the calling off.....there is soooooo much bluffing in this game. Its really a matter of you must call if pots are ~8bb or more and you are in there at the river. Of course its player dependant. But I'd guess that the average LAG in this game(and theres usually 2-3 of these guys at every table) bluffs on the river ~ 50% of their busted draws. Realistically I would set the numbers on random weekend evening $9-18 game at Commerce as follows:

random rock bluffs the river ~ less than 5%
random rock on draw bluffs the river after missing ~5%
random unknown player bluffs the river ~15% of the time
random unknown player on a draw bluffs the river after missing ~30% of the time
random LAG bluffs the river ~30% of the time
random LAG bluffs on a draw bluffs the river after missing ~50% of the time

In other words calling down with just about any pair, once you are at the river, is a profitable play in an evening weekend $9-18 game at Commerce. Strong laydowns are not your friend here.

Though I will note that experience, judgement, and knowing the other players, do help quite a bit. I made a huge laydown two weekends ago with KK on a 9734 board rainbow. Calling station limped, random 2+2er in CO called. I look on button to see KK. I raise. Wierdo in sb cold calls as does LAG on BB. CS reraises, 2+2er calls. I cap. All call. Frop comes 873 rainbow. Wierdo checks, LAG bets. CS calls. 2+2er calls. I raise. Wierdo cold calls. LAG calls, CS 3 bets. 2+2er calls. I cap, all call. Turn 4, placing two diamonds on the board. LAG bets out, CS calls, 2+2er raises. I ponder. He will drive no one out with his bet and I figure he knows it. So there is no way he has diamonds and is trying to force me out and clear up overcard outs. He has to have a set. I figure he slowplayed 77. I fold. Everyone else calls. River pairs the 3. 2+2er drags a monster with 44(wtf? guess he was on tilt). I have no clue what the hell wierdo had. BB LAG shows J8d, CS shows pocket tens. Ugh. Anywho, I normally would never make that laydown in that game. But the one guy really betting hard.....well, any other hand didn't make sense. He know what I had and was just trying to get lucky...and hit. Normally though, I pay off the three bets there. It took an extrodinary situation for me to make that big of a laydown.