Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Can I check my computers IP Address ??

Is there a way for me to check what my computers IP address is. I have multiple computers running off of the same Router and would like to see the addresses for each individual computer.

Basically the cable goes from the wall to a modem and then to a wireless router and then to 3 computers. All 3 computers are hooked to the router thru wires even though I could use the wireless with my laptop.

I want to make sure all three computers have seperate individual IP addresses.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Can I check my computers IP Address ??

Start>Run Type cmd

At the prompt type : ipconfig

Do that on each computer.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:10 PM

for multi account playing?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:34 PM

Well kinda. Although probably not in the way that you are asking. Me my wife and my mother in law all play poker. We play on seperate machines although they are all hooked up to the same cable-modem-router. I saw in another post where someone said that all 3 computers would have different IP addresses. I thought this was odd. I was just curious if this was correct and wanted to check for myself.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:36 PM

Your router will act as the DHCP server and give each one their own IP address. To the outside world they will look like they have the same address--the address the Cable/DSL DHCP server gave your router.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:42 PM

That seems to make a little more sense. So, from a poker rooms point of view we all play on the same computer? Or, since we all have different PartyPoker downloads on each seperate computer they somehow know we are using different machines? It would seem it has to be the letter because we are allowed to play at the same tables I think. Although honestly Ive never felt the urge to play poker with my mother in law.

Not that any of this really matters..but now my curiosity is peaked.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That seems to make a little more sense. So, from a poker rooms point of view we all play on the same computer? Or, since we all have different PartyPoker downloads on each seperate computer they somehow know we are using different machines? It would seem it has to be the letter because we are allowed to play at the same tables I think. Although honestly Ive never felt the urge to play poker with my mother in law.

[/ QUOTE ]

from a poker sites opinion, you're on multiple computers all in the same house/room.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:30 AM

The super easy way.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from a poker sites opinion, you're on multiple computers all in the same house/room.

[/ QUOTE ]

To expand upon this, the poker software can (because it is installed on each machine, as contrasted with viewing partypoker.com from a browser) gather information on a machine and use that to "fingerprint" it. The first piece of information they would log would be the MAC address of the machine. It's the bit of the network card on your machine that lets your router differentiate it from other machines (and grant it a unique IP address). Other info recorded might be your Windows activation/registration ID, hard drive serial numbers, etc.

They would know both your internal network IP (192.168.x.x, most likely) and the address assigned to your cable modem.

What they choose to do with this information, in terms of not letting you play together or waiting until someone complains is up to the poker site. I have heard stories that any time multiple users have logged into a poker site from the same MAC address, their accounts are flagged and disallowed on the same table. It would be harder to disallow this from the same IP address, since it's conceivable that everyone from a given university could appear from the same IP even though they don't know one another. IP addresses are transient, in that you can release the address and get a new one. So it's harder to tie that in with an account legitimately.