Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 02:16 PM

Default On exercise and motivation

For those who exercise regualarly, how do you get and maintain motivation to get started and to keep it going? This has been my problem through out the years, I will get started but quickly lose motivation and quit exercising. However I think I may have just found the motivation I need but am unsure still. I got a bunch of UFCs on DVD and watch them while working out. It makes a half hour riding the bike seem like ten minutes. Again, what are some time tested motivtion techniques that have worked for the few fit ootiots in here?

Also, is it possible to get sore from stretching? I'm starting out by doing a ton of stretching and a half hour on the stationary bike. I'm not going to hard on the bike to start out with, just enough to get the heart rate up but I am stretching very rigorously. I'm a little sore but I don't think it can come from the biking because I've never gotten sore in the past from it. I'm thinking it has to be the stretching but that seems strange. Thoughts?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: On exercise and motivation

[ QUOTE ]
For those who exercise regualarly, how do you get and maintain motivation to get started and to keep it going?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this seems terrible to everyone but the only reason I go at all is to make myself more attractive to chicks.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those who exercise regualarly, how do you get and maintain motivation to get started and to keep it going?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this seems terrible to everyone but the only reason I go at all is to make myself more attractive to chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I do too.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 PM

My motivation comes from wanting to get better at golf. I judge my fitness level on how far I hit a driver and how many holes I can play in a day (walking and carrying my bag).

It hepls to listen to angry heavy music while I lift weights. I like Bloodbath, Glass Casket, Mudvayne, Slayer, A Life Once Lost, Fear Factory, Blood Has Been Shed, etc.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 PM

After my scheduled breaks, usually 1 or 2 months a year, I take a week, and I get pissed, really pissed, I listen to loud music, get over hyped to go to the gym, and make sure to go everyday I have scheduled, but not just phone it in, I make sure they are great workouts. The high after each of those workouts the first week or so, gets me back into it.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, is it possible to get sore from stretching? I'm starting out by doing a ton of stretching and a half hour on the stationary bike. I'm not going to hard on the bike to start out with, just enough to get the heart rate up but I am stretching very rigorously. I'm a little sore but I don't think it can come from the biking because I've never gotten sore in the past from it. I'm thinking it has to be the stretching but that seems strange. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

warm up a little before stretching.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is absolutely possible. I believe it's from overdoing it. I have gotten sore from stretching after going to intense yoga classes. Try riding the bike for 10 minutes to get warmed up before stretching. After warming up, lightly stretch to get loose and then workout. After that, stretch again but deeper.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:40 PM

make it fun. that's the trick. i started doing kickboxing daily and i WANT to go. it's not a chore, it's fun. i'm getting exercise and becoming more skilled at something i'm interested in. win/win situation. sometimes i go twice in the same day it's that good.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:43 PM

you are sore from the bike.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who exercise regualarly, how do you get and maintain motivation to get started and to keep it going? This has been my problem through out the years, I will get started but quickly lose motivation and quit exercising. However I think I may have just found the motivation I need but am unsure still. I got a bunch of UFCs on DVD and watch them while working out. It makes a half hour riding the bike seem like ten minutes. Again, what are some time tested motivtion techniques that have worked for the few fit ootiots in here?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you are getting sore could be from how you are stretching. If you aren't slowly stretching and holding yourself there for a little bit then you could be pulling muscles.

I enjoy working out but it's only because I do things I like. I love rollerblading and swimming so I only do them if I feel like it, if I don't feel the urge then I will do something else. This way, I don't associate rollerblading and swimming with working out and as something that I HAVE to do, but something that I want to do. Of course there are those days when I don't feel like working out at all so I reserve those days for the elliptical [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My main motivation before was just to stay in shape, but now the bf is moving to cali (and I am still in mn to finish up school) so I have to step it up a notch to compete with those damn good-looking cali girls!