Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: What do other pros think about Bonds?

Good point! You have made some very good arguments. I am gonna leave it at when Barry does break it

Congratulations! No asterick required
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good point! You have made some very good arguments. I am gonna leave it at when Barry does break it

Congratulations! No asterick required

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, we haven't even began to discuss the fact that Bonds hasn't violated MLB rules. We still haven't gotten past the enormous misguided perceptions created by the media, or the inherent prejuidices of those who dislike him and refuse to see past that and look at it objectively.

Strictly speaking on facts, and looking at it objectively, the man hasn't broken a single rule related to MLB drug policy, and he should not be punished.

If anyone with an open mind wishes to discuss it, then it could open your eyes to some tremendous insight into the meat and bones of the MLB drug policy, and how it isn't as clear cut as "clean or juiced".

By the "letter of the law" of MLB rules and the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Bonds is equally as 'clean' as Henry Aaron.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not about the "clear" or the "cream",
it's all about SEVEN FIFTEEN!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like a millimeter from being brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was doing it in my Johnnie Cochran voice, does that push it over the edge to brilliance?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I assumed that. It's just that the rhythm is ever so slightly off, that's all.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No, I assumed that. It's just that the rhythm is ever so slightly off, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, back to the drawing board.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:45 PM

"Strictly speaking on facts, and looking at it objectively, the man hasn't broken a single rule related to MLB drug policy, and he should not be punished."

Problem is steroids were placed on baseball's banned substances list all the way back in '91.

That makes it easier to throw the "cheater/cheating" phrase around.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the other guys are all retired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you know 12 big leaguers tested positive for steroids and were suspended last season? 11 of them are NOT RETIRED. Without looking it up, how many of them can you name of the top of your head?

Still think it is about steroids?

Without looking it up, can you name which MLB player tested positive and was suspended within the LAST TWO WEEKS, but strangely didn't even merit much of a mention in the press?

Still think it is about steroids?

Of course it isn't. It's about Bonds nearing a hallowed record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without looking it up:
Alex Sanchez Tampa Bay, Ryan Franklin (P) Seattle, Ricardo Rincon (P) Minnessota, Rafael Palmeiro, Sosa, Jason Giambi, Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Ozzie Canseco, Mark McGwire, Bret Boone, and several of the players proven to have tested positive are sort of no-name minor leaguers. Many are hispanic. Not white.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM

Sammy Sosa never tested positive for steroids.

Neither has Boone.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Problem is steroids were placed on baseball's banned substances list all the way back in '91.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. The commissioner sent an advisory letter to general managers, and the strict definition of "banned substance" and "steroid" according to the collective bargaining agreement DID NOT at the time include Human Growth Hormone and a variety of other prescription steroids.

HGH was not a steroid nor a banned substance, by the MLB definition. It may be a technicality to some, but their are explicit steroids outlawed by name in the CBA and Baseball's policy, and those not explicitly named are inherently allowable.

HGH has since been added, but the specific wording defines a violation as only if one fails a prescribed drug test in accordance with the CBA specifications, to which BONDS has not failed a test.

A player could technically appear on national television and inject himself full of 17 different types of steroids, but he is immune from sanction under MLB drug testing policy unless he fails a drug test per the specifications of the CBA. And that is just the way it works.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:17 PM

I just don't understand why some people are expecting a hands across america event for Barry. Why should we cut him some slack now? The guy has been a dick his entire career,to everyone from teammates,to opposing players,to the media. He's one of the most unlovable players in baseball history, but people pull the race card when it comes to others not wanting him to break the record?
Just look at the numbers, he hit about half of his career totals of homeruns from the years 2000-2004, when he was approaching 40 years old. That does NOT happen. It just doesn't. Maybe you mature as a hitter from one year to the next, maybe you go from 25 homers to 35, maybe you have a GREAT year and touch 40, but 73? comeon, get your heads outta the sand. I don't care if he hasn't tested positive for steroids, OJ was acquitted,does that mean you think he was innocent too? look at his numbers and honestly try and tell me that you don't think something illegal was going on,I dare you.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, I don't think it's race as much as he has been viewed as an a-hole his entire career. I think McGwire and Sosa haven't gotten the scrutiny because they were "lovable" and "friendly". Doesn't matter, Bonds is the man, I give a [censored] what the media says.

[/ QUOTE ]

word