Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Re: PokerXFactor - the Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Regarding the PayPal credit card stuff -- PXF is aware that PayPal now offers "Website Payments Pro", which is essentially a merchant account with the ability to accept Visa, MC, Discover, and AMEX, for $20/mo, correct? I've set it up on several osCommerce websites recently -- a credit card user never sees anything related to PayPal, they don't need an account, anything. Same as an Authorize.net account.

Just thought I'd add it in for the PXF guys incase they haven't seen it.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 AM

Hey Sheets,

Glad to see you received my feedback. I'm a former teacher myself having taught undergraduate and graduate level statistics for several years. And so I know what you mean when you talk about trying to figure out how to balance the needs of different tutees each with differing levels of experience and skill. I used to struggle with the old "Should I go slower? Should I go faster?" routine. This was driving me crazy until I reframed it a bit. I now think of it differently- more like building a bridge than driving a car.

First I begin by not assuming they know anything. That means I make sure I start out by covering the basic terminology and concepts they will need at the beginning. But for the really basic stuff, I do this quickly and provide references for those who need to take a little longer. If I skip this step I have a lot of students looking confused all semster but I don't want to spend too long on it or I will have a lot of students bored to tears. In the context of your site this might be analogous to a posting a couple of "basic terms/concepts videos" to catch beginners up to speed on basic terminology and concepts like pot odds, implied odds, value bets vs. semi-bluffs, how the bb/stack ratio generally affects how loose you play, etc. Or whatever knowledge base you think your subscribers need to have to get the most out of the training videos.

On the opposite side of the coin, I learned to give my students a lot of credit for their ability to quickly learn what I know, especially if I'm skilled enough to present it in a clear and organized manner. So while I may have to repeat something two or three times because it is new material for them, I try to be careful to not beat them over the head with it. Just treat them like the smart people they are. I find that when I do, they tend to like the class more and stay motivated themselves.

So in relation to your question about whether you should present complex, math oriented material re bubble play in SNGS, I would say hell yes. Give your audience credit - assume they can learn anything you can. You may have to lay out a few basic building blocks first or link to some references to get your subscribers up to speed. But remember anyone who is paying money to a poker instruction site is probably someone pretty motivated to learn. So go for it, IMO.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I know its a little repetitive to what I said before, but I couldn't stop myself! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] In any case, I hope to continue to improve my game and I'm hoping you guys will be a significant part of this. So here's to the success of PokerXFactor!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Hey dfan, could you please send me an email at mindwise(at)yahoo.com with your name ... I'd like to find out why you are not receiving our support emails. It may be that you got our monthly renewal email because it comes from a different server. Thanks ... and thanks again for the feedback and support.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:18 PM

Done.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:24 PM

Any chance one of you could address the possibility of being able to download the content? There are security measures you could take to prevent it from being passed around I am sure. The ability to watch the content in non internet connected locations would be a big plus in my opinion, I might even be willing to pay a premium if that were neccessary.

C-Dog
Old 05-11-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, I have personally gone back and forth on whether to post a lecture I have created on bubble strategies in sngs, as it is fairly advanced and pretty math intensive at times, also I plan on reviewing some pretty obtuse thought proceses relating to stack sizes and such....on the one hand I want to give it all I have so to speak, but on the other hand i dont want to go too far above the heads of some of the subs...
Please please please keep the feedback coming.....

Tell us (me ) what you want to see...

sheets

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to hear this lecture and my guess is that many other xfactor members would also be interested in it. I think most poker enthusiasts--pokerxfactor members included--don't mind putting in the work to improve their game. We knew it would never be easy (though we can keep hoping). Compare the success of Harrington on Hold Em which covers more advanced topics with some of the fluff poker books put out by others. Harrington is now the standard. There are numerous sites that teach the basics; there is a niche for an advanced school that teaches concepts you won't find with a google search. Post the lecture--I think the positive response will surprise you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2006, 03:27 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
The hand replayer software is the bomb in and of itself

[/ QUOTE ]
little pitchy in some spots...but came through in the end. we got another hot one tonight
Old 05-11-2006, 12:18 PM

Sheets,

One suggestion. I think the volume of videos is good, clearly it has slowed reccently, and that is ok. I'd love to see more "ask sheets" or "Ask bax" with specific hands and situations memebers have submitted (selfishly, that I have submitted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

I think that would really add another level to learning and jump start some of the discussion forums.

JB
Old 05-11-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For example, I have personally gone back and forth on whether to post a lecture I have created on bubble strategies in sngs, as it is fairly advanced and pretty math intensive at times, also I plan on reviewing some pretty obtuse thought proceses relating to stack sizes and such....on the one hand I want to give it all I have so to speak, but on the other hand i dont want to go too far above the heads of some of the subs...

sheets

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to hear this lecture and my guess is that many other xfactor members would also be interested in it. I think most poker enthusiasts--pokerxfactor members included--don't mind putting in the work to improve their game. We knew it would never be easy (though we can keep hoping). Compare the success of Harrington on Hold Em which covers more advanced topics with some of the fluff poker books put out by others. Harrington is now the standard. There are numerous sites that teach the basics; there is a niche for an advanced school that teaches concepts you won't find with a google search. Post the lecture--I think the positive response will surprise you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% and once you have the forum up, I'm so pushy, we can all give you feedback. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

sheets

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% and once you have the forum up, I'm so pushy, we can all give you feedback. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

POST IT....I need all the help I can get....advanced or not!!!
Seriously, a great site. Once I get over making stupid moves late in tourneys, I'm sure my winrate will go up impressively. Completely worth the monthly subscription.

Bax and Sheets do a terrific job and each has his own style of teaching.

--The Outlaw