Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Re: as much as we all hate table coaches

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if you don't think berating encourages donkeys to improve, there are plenty of good reasons not to do it.

[/ QUOTE ] The best reason for leaving donkeys alone has nothing to do with increasing your cEV or maximizing your tourney profits. You should leave donkeys alone because it is wrong to purposely try to make someone feel bad about themselves. That's it.

I think the 2+2 community should be a model for the general poker community, both in how we approach decisions at the poker table and how we conduct ourselves at the poker table.

I'm sure some posters will flame me with cute little internet acronyms like WTF or LMAO. That's okay. I remember how it was to be young and arrogant, to believe that because I was smarter than most people, I was somehow superior to most people. Rude behavior bothers me no more than donkish behavior, since both stem from ignorance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said. I thought about editing my post to add this, but it was too late, so I'm glad someone else got to it. I was being kind of instrumentalist in responding to those who say, "So what? It doesn't affect my bottom line," but yeah, it's a dick move regardless.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:55 AM

at the time, after he heard my comment, i was sincerely giving him advice on why calling w/any cards was the best thing to do. in retrospect, if i'm in the BB in that situation, i want him to fold and give me free money, so i shouldn't have sad anything.

on a side note, i was thinking about this. say you are guaranteed to get AA the very next hand after the original scenario. isn't it still obvious that you should call w/any random hand? let's say you're guaranteed to get AA the next hand, everyone goes into the pot (giving you 8:1), isn't it still way better to even take 72o against the BB's random hand here? what about guaranteed to get AA the next two hands w/no stipulation on # of people entering the pot?

maybe that's more for the poker theory forum, but i'll ask anyway.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:15 AM

Rage,

When I first started playing poker seriously, about a year ago, I remember seeing some pro on tv say something to the extent of, "When someone does something stupid, and wins the hand against you, just say 'nice hand' and move on." It is more foolish for a good player to teach poor players how to hold on to their money than it is for poor players to make poor plays and give it away. The good player should know better than to try to improve the quality of his competition.

Obviously places like 2+2 are a little different in that people here are giving something to the board and learning other things in return for their participation so there is a mutual benefit. In general though, you should NEVER teach anyone anything about poker.

Holdemphile
Old 05-11-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as much as we all hate table coaches

[/ QUOTE ]

well said.

bwana