Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Preflop decision vs Sirio11

I think you're looking at serious strength from Sirio here guys. 88's definitely a fold. In fact, I think most hands are a fold. Someone mentioned A9 - can you really see Sirio open raising with 10.5xBB from UTG+1 for 3Xbb? I think not.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Someone mentioned A9 - can you really see Sirio open raising with 10.5xBB from UTG+1 for 3Xbb? I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

That "someone" also requested a mulligan. Respect the mulligan request.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:43 AM

If this is in fact Sirio11, then he would push if trying to steal or has a less than premium hand. The 3BB raise with 6 back would raise my eyebrow. He knows that with 10BB a push, not a 3BB raise, is the correct play. He wants action here so it is an easy fold. I suspect KK or AA here.

Stipe
Old 05-11-2006, 09:43 AM

I agree with ucla and I would think it was a clear fold in this spot, but he made fun of your cat. You can't let that [censored] go unchallenged. You have to push over the top, for metagame reasons. No one will respect your cat if you don't make them.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:51 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
If this is in fact Sirio11...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting some kind of government conspiracy?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 AM

why is a call not considered? with a UTG+1 raise to 3x, a flat call encourages the SB/BB to partake as well, does it not? If either/both the SB/BB come in as well, then wouldn't you want to play your 88 for set value? would you not take the rest of his chips with a flopped set (and possibly making the call correct w/implied odds assuming another player may come along?)

especially given that the player in question is so feared by you all and you have chips at this point to make the play??
Old 05-11-2006, 09:56 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
why is a call not considered? with a UTG+1 raise to 3x, a flat call encourages the SB/BB to partake as well, does it not? If either/both the SB/BB come in as well, then wouldn't you want to play your 88 for set value? would you not take the rest of his chips with a flopped set (and possibly making the call correct w/implied odds assuming another player may come along?)

especially given that the player in question is so feared by you all??

[/ QUOTE ]

Too good of a chance that the blinds do not come along, and then you're HU against a short stack who has a range that crushes us.

(I hope this makes up for some earlier poker blasphemy).
Old 05-11-2006, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

especially given that the player in question is so feared by you all??

[/ QUOTE ]

Too good of a chance that the blinds do not come along, and then you're HU against a short stack who has a range that crushes us.

(I hope this makes up for some earlier poker blasphemy).

[/ QUOTE ]

but the hand is easily released if you whiff given the range you assigned, no? cost of 11% is too high here then??
Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 AM

He made fun of your cat? Take him down ...... uhhhhhh fold. UTG+1 raises for 1/3 stack you have to assume that he is ready to call any push (or push himself). I would not like that action with 88, not to mention there are many left to act. Heads up, maybe.... Multi pot, I wouldn't.

What do I know?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:03 AM

3 possible ways the hand plays out as you suggested:

1. you call, the blinds decline, and you are heads up and probably behind Sirio. He also doesn't have enough chips to give you the implied odds you need to flop a set.

2. you call, the blinds call along. you have implied odds for a set, but other than that, you pretty much have to lay down to postflop action.

3. you call, someone behind you raises, and you have to bail out, or get stuck with a tough decision with only 88, depending on the situation

2 of the 3 possibilites are very bad, one is marginally good. There's no reason to risk it here.