Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2006, 06:15 PM

Default Pro-gambling research

So a lot of you by now have probably seen the article on CNN titled "Report: Internet Gamblers Can Afford It". It's about time that there was some pro-gambling research, rather than the anti-gambling stereotypes that you always see reported as science.

Can anyone think of more potential research studies that show gambling in a positive light?

I can think of one. I, personally, grew up in a gambling household. As such, at an early age I learned a lot of math concepts that I otherwise would have never encountered. The concept of odds, permutations and combinations (dice), the ability to add and subtract 7 and 3 from almost any number without thinking, etc. I know these examples sound trivial, but I have no doubt that being around gambling quite simply made me smarter.

I can't be unique in this. I would wager that children who grow up in gambling households are more skilled at math than other children. I would love to see a study showing this. A lot of people would be shocked at the results because of their bias that children of gamblers become degenerates, not engineers. A small amount of money for a study like this, by an interested group, might wind up getting a large bang for the buck, as the results are the perfect setup for a joke on a late-night monologue. Thoughts?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Pro-gambling research

I think you are on the right track. Various reps for chess have funded studies and gone to great lengths to show how educational chess is, and what great exercise it is for the brain. I have noticed a lot of posters here play chess by their user names, Najdorf (or some variation, pun not intended) for example. I obviously don't know if their is any real correlation, or even if the chess playing population here is any different from the public at large (I would guess it is)...but I feel like poker stimulates the same desire for understanding and mastery that chess does. Persuit of mastery is a gift, to my thinking. Anything that encourages deep thinking, be it levels of poker thoughts, or moves ahead on a chess board should be encouraged. I play holdem with all my kids, ages 2-16 (face up for the youngins, antes only, no betting- but only to keep it simple). I would bet, lol, that many of the same advantages chess offers are also offered by poker. Not all, but many.

[ QUOTE ]
I would wager that children who grow up in gambling households are more skilled at math than other children.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you did it too!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Pro-gambling research

The analytical approach necessary to be a successful poker player is applicable and extremely valuable in just about any field -- law, business, medicine, etc.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:48 PM

Default The link

CNN search was a bit of a pain- they studied with 2+2! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

CNN article link

Of course, I'd fully trust a study's impartiality when this is how the article starts:

<font color="blue">Release of the American Gaming Association survey

The survey of 552 Internet gamblers

</font>