Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 AM

Default isolating the fish (100NL)

The important thing about this hand is not the hand itself, but what I learned about <font color="black">UTG. I think this is a prime example of " Isolate against the fish VERY FREQUENTLY" in this post.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 ($148.30)
MP3 ($101)
CO ($108.05)
Button ($23.65)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($156.25)</font>
BB ($157.30)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($45.40)</font>
UTG+1 ($124.30)
MP1 ($188.05)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: ($5) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $3, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds.

River: ($11) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: $11

Results:
Hero has 2s 2h (three of a kind, twos).
<font color="red">UTG has 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (one pair, fours). </font>
Outcome: Hero wins $11.

It was pretty alarming to see his hand (for obvious reasons). Now, I don't know what his reasons were for playing this hand UTG, but now I'm keeping an eye on him. I 4-table, but when I see something like this, it's time to pay close attention. In the next 15 minutes, he showed down these hands:

- limped A7o from CO (gets stacked, reloads full)
- calls a preflop raise with 74o from BB
- open limps in MP with 74o
- limps in MP with K2o
- open limps in MP with 76o

Another interesting thing about this table was that I didn't have position on him. A solid player sitting to the left of the fish was trying to isolate him also. I was two to the right and found it harder to get heads up with the fish and play more hands with him (and I was dying to play every possible/playable hand with him).

Another point, his VP$IP was 83% over 20 hands. Under 100 hands, I'm pretty much ignoring PT. But paying attention to how badly he played these hands in a short period of time was way more valuable than anything PT or PA HUD could tell me. I think paying attention to how hands are played is underrated.

I realize this stuff is standard to most of us here. I just found this stunning because there were very clear examples of the stuff we've talked about here.