Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Pot control vs too passive

Was this standard or did I mess up any or all streets?

PokerStars (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of 10.
3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Pretty Standard. Hero was looking to flop a monster and stack someone off.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets 20</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls, MP2 folds.

Hero did not want to build a pot OOP and did not have a hand worth protecting. Hero calls the donk bet all day long given the pot odds and would re-evaluate on the turn.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 checks.

Hero was thinking about pot size but had no idea if he was slightly ahead of or behind both villains.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)</font>
Hero bets 60</font>, BB calls, MP3 folds.

After villains checked the turn, Hero was only really worried about a rivered straight. Hero value bets his second pair, but will fold if re-raised

Input on all streets are appreciated.
Regards,
Carl
Old 05-09-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Pot control vs too passive

I play it exactly the same, but I don't bet the river. C/cing allows you to (almost) always see a river, and you might induce a bluff from a player with a worse hand.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Pretty standard.

An argument could be made to fire 60 on the turn and fold to a raise. Looks like an un-wanted pot and a bet here will induce a fold many times this early (simply not enough chips to fight over).

Allowing a free river card is almost never a good idea if you have a small piece of the flop IMHO.

Being checked to the river.... Your bet is fine and your hand is probably good (missed flush draw with a 9?

Good luck! SlackMcHack
Old 05-09-2006, 01:49 PM

Agree with Kev.. I think the bet on the river in general will scare most hands away that you beat and keep in hands you are slightly ahead or behind not giving you much or any EV. You get reraised here like you said you lose the hand by folding. But.. if you check call most people with the king will value bet a similar bet that you call making it so you see his hand with the exact same price also allowing weaker hands to semi bluff out. With the weak show on the turn it is highly doubtful anyone will overbet their monster on the river pricing you out to a check call. I think this is an instance where check calling has more EV.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An argument could be made to fire 60 on the turn and fold to a raise. Looks like an un-wanted pot and a bet here will induce a fold many times this early (simply not enough chips to fight over).

[/ QUOTE ]
I would do this with air, but hero's hand is too strong to make that kind of move with, imo. When you lead and get called (which is always the most likely result), you're kind of stuck...you'll have to check-call the river most of the time, but you won't like it at all. Checking the turn gives you more information.

I would also tend to check-call the river, because if he bets then he either has a monster (flopped set played extraordinarily donkish) or nothing...leading makes him fold crap and raise the monster. Most of the time he'd check behind with air anyway, but at least some of the time you can induce a bluff.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:55 PM

agreed, play it the same but check/call the river. not very profitable to lead out and get raised and not give any chance for villain to bluff, generally fine though.