Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: How soft are the pokerstars SSNL games?

to be honest i'm not sure if i can beat them yet; ive only been playing a few weeks. just saying that i'm not a big fan of absolute so far and looking to switch is all.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frank-

Stars is consistently above 75k players during peak hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. However, they (and Party) include the number of play money players in their counts. I was trying to be conservative, but you are right, there may actually be up to 5 fish there at any given point in prime time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2006, 02:21 PM

My basic strategy is a little softer than hardcore nut peddling. In early position, I am only playing AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK and I am most certainly raising accordingly. In late position, I am raising all of the above as well as calling with suited connectors, broadway one gappers and smaller pocket pairs (set farming). I will still attempt blind steals from the button if it is folded to me.

There are other little nuances that I employ here and there but this is my basic starting hand strat. Post flop play is another story.

Now, if this isn't working out for me I will adjust accordingly and loosen up a bit if need be, or call my bigger hands here and there if I am not getting any action on my raises.

It's more defined as ABC probably but it seems to suit me at this level.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:47 AM

I wouldnĄt give much importance to the quality of the players at SSNL, but at the quality of the bonus.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My basic strategy is a little softer than hardcore nut peddling. In early position, I am only playing AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK and I am most certainly raising accordingly. In late position, I am raising all of the above as well as calling with suited connectors, broadway one gappers and smaller pocket pairs (set farming). I will still attempt blind steals from the button if it is folded to me.

There are other little nuances that I employ here and there but this is my basic starting hand strat. Post flop play is another story.

Now, if this isn't working out for me I will adjust accordingly and loosen up a bit if need be, or call my bigger hands here and there if I am not getting any action on my raises.

It's more defined as ABC probably but it seems to suit me at this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing out a lot of value if you fold small pairs in EP. Sets are gold.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:19 AM

The biggest difference between Stars full ring and other sites is the adjustment to 9 players. In fact, at low stakes I think this really is the major difference. It makes the place feel "tighter" cause there are fewer players at your table to answer your raises. So of course, in a shorter handed game, its necessary to steal and bluff more often, and make to your image less than rocky, but only slightly.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:52 AM

There are softer games than stars. But the stars games are still very soft at the nano's. Nut-peddling is FAR from optimal. It is easy and low variance. But the reality you can play 40-50%VPIP, with decent post-flop skills, and CRUSH these games. VALUE BET. THEN VALUE BET. THEN VALUE BET.

See a flop. Get them committed to pots early so you can force mistakes. They are paying you HUGE every time you hit. Marginal spots will teach you very quickly how to play this game. Or you'll lose money fast... and go back to nut-peddling.