Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Trying to get a job in the Front Office of a Baseball Club...

Treat it like a normal job interview. Definintely name drop who you met in the first line of your contact letter with the Mariner's guy to set yourself apart right away. These HR people get a lot of resumes sent to them.

I would send him resume and cover letter, then follow up with phone call a few days later if you don't hear back. In the letter just let them know you are willing to come discuss open positions anytime.

Definitely bring your baseball stuff - showing you really like baseball is very good. Your main problem sounds like it will be actual business experience, so try to have a resume that shows some kind of evidence that you can work in a structured business environment by being able to deal with people and analyze issues and solve problems.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to fit in with the Mariners' front office, I would suggest you A) forget everything you ever learned about sabermetrics and B) get a lobotomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yeah, I know. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The new organization doesn't really try to run the team into the ground. Gillick was an idiot, Bavasi is less so. They just love hometown heroes (Tuiasosopo - 2006, Lincecum - 2007).
Old 05-08-2006, 06:21 PM

I would just go in, show them my little league photo......and walk out, knowing they are impressed.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:33 PM

OK, I've never worked for a baseball team, but I did read the stories of a few people who have worked their way up in baseball organizations.

The big thing is to be ready to take ANY kind of entry-level job. In Marketing, finance, whatever. Just get your foot in the door. Then, volunteer to do things in the part of the org. you're interested in. For example, if you're interested in on-field operations/player development, you volunteer to hold the radar gun in the bullpen when they need someone to do that. Or be available to punch tons of minor-league/college data into a spreadsheet. That kind of thing.