Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Re: $55 Getting \"trapped\" with QQ

[ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not kidding. Everyone would agree that it is a good thing to get all of your money into the pot preflop heads up with AA against QQ. This is one way to do it. I don't understand why everyone is crapping on the play. Sure it may backfire if no one raises, but what does "backfire" mean? So instead of getting it all in preflop heads up, you are in a 3 way unraised pot. So what? You still have AA, a pretty good hand. Granted, you have no information on the other people's hands and you need to be able to fold the AA if it looks like you are beat, but your hand is also very disguised and people are not going to expect to see AA at a showdown.

As long as you have the ability to fold the AA after the flop (or on any street for that matter, if it's clear 1 pair is not going to win), then I think limping with AA occassionally is perfectly fine. I did it in a live cash game recently against a short stack and got my opponent all in with KQ against my AA. Of course the flop came KKx, so it worked out well for the KQ, but that's not the point. In fact, at loose low limit cash games, it is almost better to limp with AA/KK rather than raise, because it is almost guaranteed that some nit is going to raise with his AJ or some other marginal hand that donkeys think are real monsters and loose low limit cash game players do not know how to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're kidding.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:11 PM

i am so out of league here. I almost folded KK preflop last night.

blind=30/60, UTG limps, some folds, I raises to 220 with KK, fold to SB, who rerases to 630, folds to me, me ?

villian is a solid player and is top 20 in the party leader board. I have some notes on him like "play very well, likely 2+2er, reraise with AA preflop" etc..

anyway, I called the reraise and went to allin on a all low cards rainbow on flop.

I would fold QQ this hand, and OP's hand.

I am embarrassed to admit that I sometime made these kind of donkish play like over pushing AA after some limpers/raisers/callers (Level 1/2).
Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Because 99% of people can't get away from AA postflop so they set themselves up for their own pitfalls.

BTW, if you are limping AA at a cash game that's not aggressive, you're making a serious error.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, which is why said that if you are going to limp with AA then you need to be prepared to fold it after the flop if the play does not work. I have no problem folding AA after the flop. It's just one pair.

I agree limping with AA in a passive cash game would be an error. It all depends on the other players. If they are donking it up raising with less than premium hands, then I don't think it's an error. The table image you have created for yourself is also a relevant factor. I like to limp a lot in low limit cash games and see/hit flops because I think I can out play most of my opponents after the flop. And when I hit monsters, I can get paid off because the other players are not that good. So limping with AA and then showing it down is good for me, because after that, people respect my limp a bit more and are a little more hesitant to raise my limp with crap. And if I call their raise, they have to worry.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:32 PM

as far as orignal post

its a call. as said already CO range is 66-JJ + AT-AK most of the time.

think of it this way, how likely is someone sitting CO(sitting a moderate stack) going to limp in w/ KK or AA in his position? very little.

btw i play a lot of pokerroom $54 and pokerstars $60 speed and $55 regular

very easy call, unless I have 2x notes on him that he limps/reraises w/ KK AA, i'd call.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very easy call. CO is a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]