Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 06:27 AM

Default 67s on the Button; OESD on flop?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

Raise for value and maybe a free card or just call?

An annoying table coach and I had a disagreement.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:32 AM

Default Re: 67s on the Button; OESD on flop?

I would probably just call. As two-card OESDs go, yours is pretty tainted.

I suspect it doesn't matter much whether you raise or call.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:37 AM

I think I would call. If you hit your staight with a hart or a 10 there is a small chanse you are still behind and you are definitly vunlerable to redraws.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:47 AM

Don't ever argue poker strategy (or anything else for that matter) at the table. To answer your question, I like to raise here against typical low limit unknowns, but that's mostly because they are unlikely to 3 bet and shut out the field. Calling is never very wrong either.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:25 AM

Yeah I also like calling here, for the same reasons as mentioned...the heart draw and the fact that you only make the nut straight with a 5.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:35 AM

really only good things can happen when you raise
Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't ever argue poker strategy (or anything else for that matter) at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2006, 06:07 PM

Well here's the rest of the hand... BTW I raised.

The players were very passive. They would bet sometimes reraise but a three bet was rare from them.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP has 9d Td (two pair, nines and eights).
Hero has 7c 6c (straight, nine high).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB. </font>

So my value bet worked perfectly even though my 5 hit on the turn. They both checked to me. I don't use this play all the time but at this table and with my position I thought it was the right move. The coach disagreed and started self righteously critiquing me as he had been doing to a couple of other players for awhile.

As far as talking poker strategy goes it's not something I usually do in fact I usually say no more than TY or NH. I was just a little frustrated because I had already dealt with one obnoxious table coach that day and even though I tried my best to stand up for the LAG fish he left the table anyway. So this second coach in just a few hours was really annoying, and the amusing thing his stats were worse than the fish he was taunting. He was the fish.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:12 PM

Set the dropdown box beside the chat window to "no player chat".

You played the hand well. MP played it like someone who doesn't like money very much.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:00 PM

I would raise. The board devaluates your 8 outs to 6 or so maybe, but even then the flop raise doesn't cost you a lot (don't even know your exact equity with 6 outs, but it can't be much less than 25%) with 4 players in the pot.

The turn bet that you might save this way has a value many times greater than the cost of your flop raise.

It would help to know that the BB is not very agressive and likely to 3 bet and lead the turn.

So i would rename it:
Raise for a free card because it doesn't really cost you anything.