Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 01:55 AM

Default Re: I need some golf clubs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any taylormade driver with a head size of over 360 is also fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with beginners who actually want to improve using clubs this big and forgiving. Without getting some feedback from the club, you'll never know how you're actually hitting the ball, which is key to improving your swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still hitting an out-dated Titleist 975D, 260cc. I can shape shots, and it bombs. I can't stand swinging a basketball on a stick. I'll most likely keep the 975D forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are really missing out on a lot of technology that will only improve your game.

If the best player in the world is hitting the biggest ugliest driver in the world, why are you still hitting an itty bitty "player's" driver?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All the major brands make quality clubs. Find something you are comfortable with. Getting fitted for length, lie angle, etc is important and wont cost you anything at most places if you make a purchase.

I'll put in a plug for Callaway because they make excellent clubs and have excellent customer service. If something goes wrong with a club you can just send it back to them and they will replace it. If you are going to Vegas soon they have 2 Callaway fitting centers there. One is in Caesers Palace and other is in a driving range next to the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

At Caesars? Cool, I'll have to stop by on Friday while I'm there.
Stupid question: Should I get my swing fixed before I get new clubs? I'm using the clubs I started with about 3 years ago and I know my swing's not the greatest.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:04 AM

You can go ahead and get new clubs. A lot of the information that they will calculate is pretty static. Generally speaking the length and lie of your irons will stay pretty consistent even through some swing changes. The only thing that might need swapped out later is the shafts if you are able to pick up some swing speed or your tempo changes. both of which are fairly unlikely.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with beginners who actually want to improve using clubs this big and forgiving. Without getting some feedback from the club, you'll never know how you're actually hitting the ball, which is key to improving your swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still hitting an out-dated Titleist 975D, 260cc. I can shape shots, and it bombs. I can't stand swinging a basketball on a stick. I'll most likely keep the 975D forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are really missing out on a lot of technology that will only improve your game.

If the best player in the world is hitting the biggest ugliest driver in the world, why are you still hitting an itty bitty "player's" driver?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I don't enjoy hitting a 800cc driver. Nor do I find a noteworthy improvement in my game. If I can hit my 260cc Titleist a consistent 305-315, all while being able to draw and fade, I'm probably not changing.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can go ahead and get new clubs. A lot of the information that they will calculate is pretty static. Generally speaking the length and lie of your irons will stay pretty consistent even through some swing changes. The only thing that might need swapped out later is the shafts if you are able to pick up some swing speed or your tempo changes. both of which are fairly unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda what I was thinking. I figured I might need longer shafts since I'm taller than the average population. I would like to increase my swing speed though because it's really slow.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because its more fun/satisfying to hit a club like that well than to hit some huge monstrosity, and have no idea if your swing was really good or just mediocre?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:24 AM

Real men use these.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:25 AM

Well generally speaking taller players need longer clubs. But if your arms are longer than average for your height you could wind up being around standard length. Conversely, if your arms are shorter for your heighth you could wind up having to add some serious length.

One advantage you have being taller than average is the fact that being taller winds up adding some distance to your shots. You will have a larger swing arc which should naturally produce longer shots. Lessons should also add a little swing speed by getting all the parts of the swing synced up.

As for your swing speed being really slow, that would have to be determined through a measurement device, and chances are you are just average. You'd be surprised what a typical swing speed is. Don't believe a lot of the BS you hear on the internet. Like most message boards there are a lot of things that a greatly exaggerated. Like Absoludicrous above, he somehow consistentlys hits drives that would put him in the top 10 on tour in driving distance with a driver that has 10 year old technology in it. Everytime I wind up in golf discussions on internet boards all I ever hear is how "I consistently hit 300 yard drives, blah blah blah." It's to the point where I just ignore anyone that wants to start quoting average distances. I don't generally call people out on message boards because it isn't worth the effort, but hopefully me doing it here will lead you to believe that no matter how far you are hitting it off the tee you can still keep up with the other guys in your group.

In addition how far you are hitting the ball off the tee can be affected by a number of different things including your angle of attack, the clubhead's material, loft, shaft kick point, and shaft flex. These things combine with your swing speed to produce your ball flight. Unless you have actually had your swing measured, getting a properly fitted driver coudl fix most of your distance issues.

So just don't worry as much about distance. In golf the count the NUMBER of strokes, not how far each shot goes. My roommate is obsessed with distance and I've beaten him 3 out of the 4 times we played despite being consistently one club shorter on iron shots and at least 30 yards shorter off the tee.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because its more fun/satisfying to hit a club like that well than to hit some huge monstrosity, and have no idea if your swing was really good or just mediocre?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always find it more fun/satisfying to birdie a hole...

Whatever gets me there most often is what I'm going to use because that means I will be enjoying my game more often.

There probably isn't one player on the pro tour using a driver under 400cc. Golf is about the score. 1 good shot with a true player's club or some 10 year old driver will not make up for the 10 bad shots I hit with the same club. And i started with a persimmon headed driver I found in my Dad's shed. So it's not like I haven't ever used something that is "sweet" to hit. I've also practiced with a Nike Forged Blade. One of the toughest clubs to hit that you can buy right now. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to use it on the course, because when you are playing it's about the score, and whatever allows me to shoot the lowest will be in the bag. If that means I'm playing a 60 degree hybrid, then you can bet I'm playing a 60 degree hybrid (and yes Tour Edge actually makes a 60 degree hybrid which does seem awefully silly).
Old 05-08-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like Absoludicrous above, he somehow consistentlys hits drives that would put him in the top 10 on tour in driving distance with a driver that has 10 year old technology in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three things:

1. It's not driving distance that seperates Pros from Joes, it's being savvy around the green, and having great iron control, and being able to put consistently. There's a reason guys like Jason Zuback, who hit it 400 yds aren't pros.

2. I'm 6'5" and have a club head speed of roughly 110-115, which nets 300+ yd drives.

3. 10 year old technology isn't that bad. I'd venture to say it's not that far behind todays technology. 20 years, yes. Drivers these days aren't way ahead of the Titleist 975 that I'm swinging. I'd be willing to bet the 975 isn't even 10 years old. More like 5.

I really don't know what you're proving by calling me out. I carry a fluctuating 12-15 handicap. It's my short game that needs improving. Even if a 800cc driver added 20 yards, it's not taking off 2, 3, 4 or 5 strokes. Making birdy puts will though.