Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Where were you when you first heard about what happened on 9/11?

[ QUOTE ]
I was in my 3rd period spanish class, junior year of high school. They had us stay in whatever room we were in for like an extra hour while they figured stuff out. I grew up in the NYC suburbs so a lot of my friends' parents worked in or near the WTC (thankfully mine did not).

Eventually they let us go on with our daily schedule as usual, but didn't really give us any info. A rumor got out that a plane had hit the WTC, no one really believed it, and the ones that did assumed it was some small 2 person plane. Then at soem point later in the day people started saying that the towers had collapsed which almost no one believed. Most of us were joking about it.

Lots of kids were trying to call their parents all day, but as most of you probably know communication to anyone in or near NY on that day was basically impossible.

It wasn't until I got home around 2:45 that I saw teh replays on TV and actually found out what had happened. It was basically a whole day's worth of news/terror flooded upon me in 15 seconds. Very sureal.

Luckily almost all of the people I knew that were in the WTC got out safely. Such a crazy day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its kind of amazing how little of this I remember (me and Evan went to the same HS), and how different the timeline is from my recollection of how finding things out went (maybe I was one of the few spreading the 'rumor' about what happened?); I'm fairly sure I hear about it when it was actually happenning.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:09 PM

7th grade, 4th period gym class. My friend had come into school late, and I remember I bet down to tie my shoe and he goes "some guys flew a plane into the WTC". I don't remember what exactly I said, but I didn't believe him.

When we got back from gym the teachers told us what happened, but of course we had to learn instead of watch news coverage on what was the most important event of our lives.

Then at the end of the day we had a prayer service.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:10 PM

I was at school and skipped my 8am class. When I walked into my next class around 8:45, I saw one of the towers on a big projection screen that they had in the lecture hall. Smoke was billowing out, and Peter Jennings was describing what happened. Just after I arrived, the towers collapsed. We had a guest speaker in the class, that day, whose office was on the bottom of WTC tower #1.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Well I'm sorry to say that not all Germans felt sympathy at first. At the time I worked at a place where you can make copies and a customer comes in telling some things about Americans getting what they deserved. I didn't really understand what he was saying, but he seemed kind of strange anyway so I was happy when he left soon later. I immediately turned on the radio as we didn't have a TV at work and listened to four hours of coverage and it all seemed so unreal. Even at that time I hadn't been a fan of George W. or american foreign policy in general, but thinking about the guys comment I could only think: but what about the people, [censored].
I am kind of a visual guy, so I sais in front of the radio for four hours and thought: you've got to get home and see this on TV. So when I got there in the evening I watched the news till way after midnight.
I basically knew that I was in an area where you didn't have to fear terrorist attacks so much, so I basically wasn't in a state of fear and more or less thinking about the people involved.
The one time in my life where a political act made me really afraid was when the NATO started bombing Serbia. I just thought that some stupid russion general was going to revolt and start dropping bombs and a third world war... Well thank god I was wrong
Old 05-06-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was cutting class to go buy the new Slayer CD @ the mall.

On this topic, I came across a very intriguing video a couple weeks ago. I don't know how many of you have seen or heard of this, but it attempts to prove that the events of 9/11 occurred with the cooperation of the US government... I know this is a very sensitive issue for many, so don't shoot the messenger here.

the link for anybody who is interested http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ge&pl=true

[/ QUOTE ]
There wouldn't be enough ammo to shoot all the messengers.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:13 PM

I had just gotten to work and one of my coworkers told me about it. This would have been around 9:10 AM. I'd heard some reference to planes from a passer-by while walking into the building but hadn't taken note of it. Went straight to where a big-screen TV was an watched coverage until 10. Then we had a meeting to attend which we (stupidly? thankfully?) went to. The person leading the meeting apparently didn't know anything was happening. For me, it was the only normal hour of that day after I first heard. My coworker had one of those then-fancy paging news services. She told me after the meeting that she'd gotten pages indicating that both of the towers had fallen. I remember saying something like "Fallen? What do they mean?" Then we went back to the TV (in another building) and we saw. It wasn't long before my child's daycare (we were in a large midwestern city's downtown) decided that they should close for the day and my employer began excusing people for the day. I picked up our younger daughter from daycare and went home and watched the news with my wife. Not too long afterwards, our older daughter's school announced early dismissal and she was home and we tried to explain to a 6-year-old what had happened and why.

I'd driven to work that morning listening to a concert album from Central Park. I remember thinking that someday I'd like to live in a city that had stuff cool like that. I absolutely still feel that way but the synchronicity of it sticks in my mind.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:43 PM

I was about 8 blocks away, in my office.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:35 PM

My mum came to pick me up from school and told me there'd been terrorist attacks in America or something. We got home and turned on the TV and were like WTF? Can't remember whether I saw the 2nd plane hitting live or not, but I think I was watching when both towers fell.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was cutting class to go buy the new Slayer CD @ the mall.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ge&pl=true

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironic that the CD was released on 9/11 and was called "God Hates Us All".
Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 PM

I was celebrating.