Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Ask d10 about flying helicopters and win $$$

[ QUOTE ]
Amount of lift provised by the 60s horizontal stab?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen any published numbers for this. The stabilator's purpose is to provide stability, not lift, and in most cases it provides downforce. The stabilator is programmed to change automatically based on airspeed and collective position, so how much lift/downforce it provides at any time could most easily be stated as however much it needs to maintain a comfortable pitch attitude.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- what is the min altitude (AGL) in real world (without waiver) for TF ops. with the AN/APQ-174? (assume over Terra Firma and not water).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used this system, as of right now only the special ops Black Hawks use these.

[/ QUOTE ]
My fault on that one. Wasn't even considering that you were still at Rucker and not operational yet. My familiarity with the system is pretty much restricted to the MH-60K
While you were at Cambell did you work with the SOAR much? Ive got a lot of respect for those guys, they helped us out quite a bit.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Type of oil used in TRGB? Type of hydraulic fluid used?

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost always MIL-L-23699. MIL-L-85734 is listed as the preferred gearbox oil, but I've never seen anybody use it, because 23699 can be used for both the engines and gearboxes, and it's easier to keep it all the same. MIL-L-7808 can also be used for both engines and gearboxes, and is required in temperatures below some really low number that I never hope to see.

Hydraulic fluid for the TRGB is obviously none, other components use either MIL-H-83282 or MIL-H-5606.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MRH dampner failure procedures?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no specific emergency procedure for this, but I'm going to land as soon as possible and shutdown.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:54 PM

Descibe procedures for LTE?

When would you experience it?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PIO problems? How do you prevent?

[/ QUOTE ]

By not sucking at flying.

[ QUOTE ]
Explain settling with power versus power settling?

How do you correct for either?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same effect, just different terms. I think "power settling" is what the Navy calls it. The Army mostly calls it "settling with power" but I've heard the term "power settling" also used interchangably. It's commonly described as when a helicopter settles in its own downwash. Explained in aerodynamic terms, during all modes of flight, the tips of rotor blades are pushing more air through than the root of the blades because it's travelling at a much higher velocity. When descending straight down at a certain rate, air will be moving up through the rotor disc faster than the root of the blades can push it down, and at some point further out on the blade, the downwash velocity will be equal to the rate of descent. This will create vortices around this point, which will result in a complete loss of lift at that part of the blade, and the helicopter will drop like a rock. It may be possible to get out of it if you have a lot of additional power, otherwise you'll need to build up some airspeed to get yourself into clean air.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 PM

Power settling/settling with power 2 different things. One involves entering the vortex ring state as you described, the other involves high load factors. You cannot escape vortex ring state with power application - only escape is to reduce collective, lower nose to gain forward airspeed and try to fly out of it.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- what is the min altitude (AGL) in real world (without waiver) for TF ops. with the AN/APQ-174? (assume over Terra Firma and not water).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used this system, as of right now only the special ops Black Hawks use these.

[/ QUOTE ]
My fault on that one. Wasn't even considering that you were still at Rucker and not operational yet. My familiarity with the system is pretty much restricted to the MH-60K
While you were at Cambell did you work with the SOAR much? Ive got a lot of respect for those guys, they helped us out quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been operational, just never with a unit that used that system. It's not put on any UH-60s. I've never worked with the 160th as a unit, but I've worked with a few guys who had a lot of time with them.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Descibe procedures for LTE?

When would you experience it?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a helicopter that experiences LTE, full left pedal and build airspeed until the spin is under control.

I would experience it when flying a helicopter with poor tail rotor design, when flying at a hover/low airspeed with winds from the tail or left rear quarter. A Black Hawk won't experience LTE to the extent where it becomes noticable due to the position of the tail rotor level with the main rotor disc and the canted design.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By not sucking at flying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty ball - sy from a newbie. How much green ink do you have?

Hope you take this attitude into your checkride.