Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Raising JTs Preflop

When are you doing this? I see posts every once in a while about people raising JTs from late position with a certain number of limpers, but I also read how some people simply like to limp. What are ideal situations for raising?

Thanks, Tybo
Old 05-07-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Raising JTs Preflop

Ill open raise J10s to steal the blinds.

You can also raise it once you get a shiteload of limpers (like the whole table) because you have a hand that can win a huge pot in this situation. I dont really know how many limpers you want to make this play but the chances of getting J10s in the CO or Button and having almost the entire table limp are so small that its probably not worth worrying about.

there have been posts from poohbahs where they have limp reraise in attempts to push thin EV edges but generally its not recommended for the average punter.

I suppose you could raise it to isolate a really loose player

Basically unless you feel you have superior postflop skills to your opponents I recommend just limping J10s unless you can blind steal

my 2BB

Battler
Old 05-07-2006, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill open raise J10s to steal the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what position?

I'll do this in CO or Button maybe earlier if its a very tight table.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what position?

I'll do this in CO or Button maybe earlier if its a very tight table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. You got it Doc. Great minds think alike or is it a case of blind leading the blind? lol. Anyway, the tighter the players behind yet to act the better. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and the same applies with isoraising a very loose player. Personally the isoraise with J10s is probably high variance and assumes superior postflop skills. It was just a suggestion and not for the fainthearted...maybe Ill do it more when I reach poohbah status [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 PM

Do this too often and you will go BUSTO before you go Pooh-Bah [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2006, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do this too often and you will go BUSTO before you go Pooh-Bah [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you always raised suited broadways OTB in all unraised pots I don't think you'd be making much of a mistake.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you always raised suited broadways OTB in all unraised pots I don't think you'd be making much of a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to the dreaded "isolation raise". Raising this first in from CO or button is pretty automatic due to the possibility of stealing the blinds, and raising it after a few limpers is probably ok as well since the hand plays well in multiway pots.

And for some reason typing this in made a light go off in my head...

About that isolation raise... why do we want to isolate someone when our hand doesn't play very well HU?? The more I think about this the less I like it.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About that isolation raise... why do we want to isolate someone when our hand doesn't play very well HU?? The more I think about this the less I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the blinds are so loose they call anyway, it's for value.

If the limper and blinds are weak-tight, we often win with jack high.

If the limper is weak-loose and the blinds are tight, we often win by pairing either card and get paid off.

Big cards play just fine HU with position.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I figured that if we are way head of an uberloose limpers range then it might be worth it. I suppose the question is how loose does Mr UberLoose need to be. 50%, 75%. I would Pokerstove it but Im at work.....anyone care to stove it in the meantime?

In anycase, its not a scenario thats going to occur very often so I doubt Ill go busto if I ever make this play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Battler
Old 05-07-2006, 09:26 PM

Don't forget that you probably play better than Villain postflop, and have position, so you don't need to be a PE favorite for isolation to be profitable.