Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2006, 03:52 PM

Default Zone Alarm

So I heard all the cool people on these boards talk about how much Norton sucks and Zone Alarm rocks and I of course immediately de-installed Norton and installed Zone Alarm.

Unfortunately it turned out that I had to de-install it (twice) and that it [censored] up my Pokertracker database. When it's installed Pokertracker couldn't connect to the database. Even when I grant PT and SQL all access it's a no go. Even when I disable Zone Alarm it's a no go. Only when it's de-installed it works again.

Anyone with similar problems? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Zone Alarm

[ QUOTE ]
So I heard all the cool people on these boards talk about how much Norton sucks and Zone Alarm rocks and I of course immediately de-installed Norton and installed Zone Alarm.

Unfortunately it turned out that I had to de-install it (twice) and that it [censored] up my Pokertracker database. When it's installed Pokertracker couldn't connect to the database. Even when I grant PT and SQL all access it's a no go. Even when I disable Zone Alarm it's a no go. Only when it's de-installed it works again.

Anyone with similar problems? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - EXACTLY the same problem.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:38 PM

I'm a little unsure as to why this worked, but here's what I did:

1. Uninstall ZA
2. Make sure PT postgreSQL works ok
3. Reinstall ZA
4. When you download the latest update, do a complete install (rather than just update current installation..since you in fact WANT to override the bogus setting that is blocking the postgreSQL server)
5. Set the adviser thingy to the 3rd option (not automatic or manual)
6. ZA should appear to work fine, and you may have to make some more 'always allow' type selections

Good luck. I should write technical manuals.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the input. I think I pretty much covered these steps though, but I might try. On the other hand I am starting to doubt if this program (or any program) is worth all these troubles.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input. I think I pretty much covered these steps though, but I might try. On the other hand I am starting to doubt if this program (or any program) is worth all these troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, it helps protect you from hackers who might steal your personal info. If you don't have it, and one day discover that someone has been committing crimes in your name, your name is on the Interpol's Most Wanted list, and the FBI is banging on your door demanding you let them in, don't start whining about how it wasn't your fault, and that Zone Alarm was just too much trouble. You'll get no sympathy from us buddy.

Albert
Old 01-09-2006, 12:25 PM

OMG is this a joke? If not, what the [censored] is wrong with you?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:23 PM

My Zone Alarm works fine with PT as far as I can tell.

On a slightly different note, I've had trouble connecting to Poker Stars when Zone Alarm is enabled, and can only connect to PS when it's disabled.

Can anyone help me with this one?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:07 PM

I think Zone Alarm is pretty good actually. I use to run Norton SystemWorks, but man is that suite a resource hog. Plus it wasn't exactly airtight, you know what I mean?

As far as PT and PS, no idea. The issue with ZA and PT was actually involving the postgreSQL server version of PT, not the standard Access DB version. If you are having problems running PS with ZA, just try to grant full access or super trust to any PS entries you can find in the ZA program list. The ZA site is surprisingly useless when it comes to helping end-users fix this kind of stuff.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 AM

Thanks for the responses all.

I gave up after another 3 hours yesterday. I'm not a retard when it comes to computers but this one I really can't solve. It's a bug in Zone Alarm as far as I'm concerned.

Reinstalling and updating PostgreSQL was one of the troubleshooting steps I took and I lost my whole Pokertracker database in the proces [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I've reinstalled Norton again and it immediately found a few exploits...

sigh [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2006, 09:56 AM

i had the same problem where pt was not working due zone alarm cutting off the postgres db.

i fixed the problem by uninstalling and re-installing za.

i also updated to the previous version.

for some reason the problems for me started when i engaged the additional features listed in the custom program control settings tab ("advanced program control" and "component control")....this time around i left it on default settings with only the OSFirewall enabled.

hope you can get it working as it is nice to have party at bay.

cheers,
sean