Old 08-07-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: This \"so called\" Nigerian stuff

Colluding in a card game is a scam. What is going on here is ..FRAUD
Old 08-07-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to get in the middle of a highly entertaining argument, but the OP did state:

[ QUOTE ]
after a few days I get an e-mail from some guy in Nigeria

[/ QUOTE ]

unless I am misreading something [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...that's hilarious. I thought he'd stated that there was a guy from Nigeria involved, but then he was adamently arguing otherwise so I assumed I was mistakenly. Sigh, I think "ManyBeers" comes by his handle honestly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting an e-mail from somebody CLAIMING to be from NIGERIA does NOT mean said person is from Nigeria. Could be from across the street guy. Or you disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the fraudster wasn't from Nigeria... why would he *pretend* to be from Nigeria -- A COUNTRY THAT IS KNOWN FOR COMMITTING THIS KIND OF FRAUD????

I think the bank teller did a disservice to society by warning you of the scam when you ignorantly went to send your Nigerian friend his money order for $4500. You've actually made me root for the Nigerians in this case.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Getting an e-mail from somebody CLAIMING to be from NIGERIA does NOT mean said person is from Nigeria. Could be from across the street guy. Or you disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not realize that THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AND THEY ARE KNOWN TO BE FROM NIGERIA.

Jesus Christ

[/ QUOTE ]

How the fvck do you know where their from? Did you read it in the paper?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not realize that THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AND THEY ARE KNOWN TO BE FROM NIGERIA.

Jesus Christ

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:15 PM

This is right up there with the "America, We Stand As One" video on the "this CAN'T be for real" scale.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a retarted moran. Please do the world a favor and swallow a bottle of drano.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Main Entry: scam
Pronunciation: 'skam
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-07-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So what was that in English LOL?

[/ QUOTE ]

In English, it looks like if the OP received a check from the Nigerian scammer written on the Nigerian scammer's bank account (that had no money in it), then the OP's bank wouldn't be able to get the money back after they paid the OP if the OP sent the $4500 and the go-kart to the scammer. However, if the OP received an "altered instrument" (a money order that was originally made out for $60 but that had been changed to $6000), then the OP would have breached a "transfer warranty" and would have to pay the bank back the money. At least that's my interpretation.

In any event, just be very careful when dealing with checks or money orders (especially those written on foreign banks). The bank you cash the check or money order at may be able to come after you long after you are given access to the money from the cashed check or money order.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in your opinion this is legitimate business practice? And I was careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it is legitimate but it appears to be legal.

A lot of regulations are written by competing special interest groups. In this instance, it looks like the lobbyists paid by the banks won out over the consumer- advocate lobbyists (if there were any).
Old 08-07-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Main Entry: scam
Pronunciation: 'skam
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can use the word scam for this. And I'll call it FRAUD. So your saying if this was a court of law and (just for the sake of argument) the bank was brought up on charges. they would use the word scaming customers instead of defrauding customers is that your position?
Personally I have never heard of a law against scamming.
Isn't FRAUD the legal term here and scam a whitewash term?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Quick Explanation from a FI Fraud Investigator

Up until a few months ago I was a Fraud Investigator for a major financial institution (which shall remain nameless). Hopefully I can clear up some confusion.

::: It is called a "Nigerian Scam" based on the fact that most scams of this type agenerally come from Nigeria. They also can come from Canada, the UK, Phillipines, or other countries. The underlying theme is that they are always foreign sources.

::: The scammer most likely got ahold of your ad via the online version of the LVRJ. Almost all newspapers put thier want ads online.

"Why am I responsible?"
::: When you endorse the back of the check, you take responsibility for the items funds. you've basically said "yup, I know this check is good and take responsibility for it if it bounces or is uncollectable." It's not drawn off a nigerian bank because foreign funds take MONTHS to collect. It is by most likely a counterfeit drawn off a bank in the United States (usually in a remote region such as New York or LA). They can also be counterfeit Cashiers Checks that look very real, as well a United States Postal Money Orders.

According to banking regulations, financial institutions must release funds in draft (read: checking) accounts according to a release schedule based on location of the issuing bank as well as the ammount of the check. Checks can legally take 10 BUISNESS days to be sucessfully credited to your account. If you've ever had a hold of varying length this is what you experience. For customer service reasons, many banks will give you access to these funds in good faith, knowing that most items do clear well before the maximum length the issuing bank has to return it. If you're a good customer you will not notice the float between the time you are actually "Credited" with the funds and the time you have to access them. If you've ever bounced a check, you know what happens when the check is returns.

Checks can be returned up to 1 year after thier original deposit. Normally, counterfeits have a 24 hour return time once they are notices, but most banks will accept late returns of these items.

The bank will return this on your account because you endorsed it, that is almost all the reason they need to do this. The fact that you were unable to verify funds before deposit on this item is not the banks fault.

You are ucky that didn't lost out your 4500.00 most of tyhe time when money is wester unioned outside the country it is unrecoverable. Next time you sell an item to someone youdo not know, call the issuing bank to make sure the item is legitimate.