Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Find Me A Place In NYC

In this market, you're pretty much going to have to get a broker. Check out neighborhoods you like.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 AM

I agree. note that you can talk brokers down on their commission.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:02 AM

I suggest Washington Heights. 2BR for $3000 and you can live in a very, very nice place. In some very, very nice neighborhoods (I'm right arond 181 and Fort Wash.)
Old 05-05-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest Washington Heights. 2BR for $3000 and you can live in a very, very nice place. In some very, very nice neighborhoods (I'm right arond 181 and Fort Wash.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it takes an hour to get anywhere. That'll cost you $10,000 a year in opportunities lost to travel time.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

[ QUOTE ]
In this market, you're pretty much going to have to get a broker. Check out neighborhoods you like.

[/ QUOTE ]
mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh brokers are overrated, look in the white pages for leasing companys, most you can walk in and ask them about open apartments.

I've never used a broker and I've gotten two apartments, both 2br duplexs, both under $2100.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:20 AM

When did you find your apartments? It was a renters market from 2001 through 2004 and I would doubt that's the case now. I negotiated a significant discount with a broker in about two sentences when I was looking in 2002 and long vacancies were not uncommon.

I would guess that apartments rarely go unclaimed for more than a day or so currently given how the stock market is performing.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it takes an hour to get anywhere. That'll cost you $10,000 a year in opportunities lost to travel time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

In what [censored] up time-space continuum do you live where a train that leaves one place and arrives in the middle of Manhattan 25 minutes later is considered 1 hour?

I agree it may take 10-15 minutes longer to get somewhere than from other locations (like my previous apartment on the UES), but for $5K+ more in my pocket every year, and twice the amount of space, I'll take the tradeoff any day of the week.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When did you find your apartments? It was a renters market from 2001 through 2004 and I would doubt that's the case now. I negotiated a significant discount with a broker in about two sentences when I was looking in 2002 and long vacancies were not uncommon.

I would guess that apartments rarely go unclaimed for more than a day or so currently given how the stock market is performing.

[/ QUOTE ]

2000 and 2002. There are still available apartments uptown in walkups and brownstones that can be found w/o a broker. It's not easy,but your apartment living is in a different class than what this kid is looking for. The thought of spending 4k on a starter/first apartment is gross.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2000 and 2002. There are still available apartments uptown in walkups and brownstones that can be found w/o a broker. It's not easy,but your apartment living is in a different class than what this kid is looking for. The thought of spending 4k on a starter/first apartment is gross.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pay 2.5K.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pay 2.5K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant in brokerage fees.

I pay 997.50