Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 11:11 PM

Default My flop AF is way too high (1/2 Party 6-max)

I realized about 5k hands ago that I was not peeling on the flop enough, and I'm probably still not, but I think I'm betting too much also. I've been working on getting to showdown more often recently since I had no idea that SH players are so full of [censored]! The rest of my stats:

And by position:

I'm getting pretty impatient with my inability to beat 1/2, since I'm in the red at 1/2 full as well after 12k hands, and as a full-time engineering student, I don't play as many hands as most of you do. I know I'm running bad, but I'm not sure I want to just keep "playing through" the poor run. Does anything look obviously out of place?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Re: My flop AF is way too high (1/2 Party 6-max)

23/16 is just fine at 1/2. People who add a ton of hands are paying a serious price because of the rake in these games, I'd think 23/16 is closer to optimal than something like 28/20.

This looks like a sample-size issue at first blush. You're winning .08 on the button and .1 UTG? Not going to last. Someone sweating you will be a better indication than this forum looking at those two screenshots, though.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:15 PM

Yeah 4.2 is crazy.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 AM

4.2!!! LMAO!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 AM

You're porobably an autobettor on the flop. I am too. It's ntot too terrible, but it's not good, either. Check more.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:29 AM

I feel for you man. Mine is even higher.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 AM

actually, you're folding too much.

21.6% fold on flop is way to high.

you're probably playing fit/fold on flop and turn. maybe missing a lot of draws on the river in this relatively small sample.

id wager that your ftrb is nearing 50% which is again, way too high. especially since, as you said yourself, sh players are full of [censored].

i think that your bet and raise %s are right on target for the flop.

remember to count all of your outs, and remember that bottom pair and a-high are pretty good hands in blind battles, etc.

actually what i think is probably happening is you're raising and blowing people off hands on the flop when you've got the goods and then folding when you don't. keep in mind they're bluffing a lot and raising isn't necessarily the best way to get money in the pot all of the time.

for instance, let's say you raise otb with ax and the bb calls. flop comes down a72 (over-used flop, yes. gfy.) bb bets. you're probably raising here and he's probably folding. consider waiting until the turn or even river to raise. or hell, consider never raising.

anyway, sum of this post is that betting/raising is not necessarily the best way to win the monies.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
21.6% fold on flop is way to high

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the typical numbers here? Any thread references? Seems this might be a good stat to throw up on the HUD.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 AM

You nailed it. That's exactly what I believe my problem is--I identified it 5k hands ago, and my FTRB has dropped slightly, from 50% to 47%, and I think I could drop that even more. As for your example--against an agg. player I will usually wait to raise the river, or if the board is drawy, the turn. I think I am making the mistake of sometimes trying to "protect" a 4 SB pot. Take the following situation:

Loose table.

Pre-flop: UTG limps, Hero limps in CO (assume almost no chance of stealing the blinds) with K9s, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: K76 2-tone. Passive UTG bets. Hero does not have a flush draw. Hero's action?

And even worse are situations like the following:

Pre-flop: Hero open-raises KJ on the button. SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: A54 2-tone. Hero has no flush draw. BB bets. I'll usually fold here because the pot is so small unless I have a read that BB is crazily aggressive.

Taking the same situation, and add in SB calling as well:

Pre-flop: Hero open-raises KJ on the button. SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: A54 2-tone. Hero has no flush draw. SB bets, BB folds. Assume SB is a little bit on the aggressive side. Is this a peel?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:24 AM

Hand 1, raise

Hand 2, fold

Hand 3, fold.