Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: KQs on BB, your turn play?

how often does he play back at you preflop?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:25 PM

I like a check. If he checkraises you'd obviously have to fold, and if you bet and he just calls (not entirely unlikely), I think river is gonna be very hard to play if you hit K/Q. I like a check since I can at least keep the pot somewhat manageble so that if I hit K or Q I can at least USE them. (By betting turn and getting called, if I do hit, pot will be so big that I'll only beat a bluff if he bets/openpushes river, and I can't really bet if he checks to me either.)
Old 05-04-2006, 04:06 PM

I would bet about half the pot in this spot. You have two over cards and a pretty good flush draw. Even though he might be trapping be top or over pair. He might also have only have Ace high. If you just check and hit a diamond on the turn you might not get paid off since he might suspect that you hit your flush with a call on the flop and check on the turn. Even though this is a close call I would always lean toward betting when it is a close decision between checking and betting.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet about half the pot in this spot. You have two over cards and a pretty good flush draw. Even though he might be trapping be top or over pair. He might also have only have Ace high. If you just check and hit a diamond on the turn you might not get paid off since he might suspect that you hit your flush with a call on the flop and check on the turn. Even though this is a close call I would always lean toward betting when it is a close decision between checking and betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet 1/2 here, do so expecting to be check raised and having to figure out if Villain (who is capable of huge bluffs), was or was not kidding when he reraised preflop OOP and then bet into a draw heavy board. You're not even beating A high yet. TAKE THE FREE CARD.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:36 PM

agree, free card all the way--this guy sounds like he can c/r u on the turn easily, and say he has a J or some kind of PP he def will, cuz the turn card didn't fill many of your hands in his mind. Just as a general question, don't we want to make that turn bet against more TAGs/tight-weaks than LAGs/superLAGS?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
agree, free card all the way--this guy sounds like he can c/r u on the turn easily, and say he has a J or some kind of PP he def will, cuz the turn card didn't fill many of your hands in his mind. Just as a general question, don't we want to make that turn bet against more TAGs/tight-weaks than LAGs/superLAGS?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we want to make that turn bet if we're sure Villain is capable of folding 99 and TT here... I would also bet more than 1/2 in this spot against that kind of opponent, too.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 PM

If you don't plan on taking it away from him here, I really don't like your preflop or flop calls. You've gotta be willing to float/take stabs on the turn in reraised pots and use your position to apply pressure when the pot's getting very big instead of just hoping to make the best hand. Otherwise players who reraise liberally even OOP can have their way with you.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet 1/2 here, do so expecting to be check raised and having to figure out if Villain (who is capable of huge bluffs), was or was not kidding when he reraised preflop OOP and then bet into a draw heavy board. You're not even beating A high yet. TAKE THE FREE CARD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate on how often you think he's going to c/r this flop? Those advocating checking all say "he's likely to pull a c/r here since he's a LAG" which is true, you'd prefer to bet here against a TAG, but this LAG has to c/r this flop quite often for betting 2/3 of the pot not to be profitable. A LAG who can bluff is scary, but so is hero smooth calling in position. How often does a bet take it down? This doesn't seem like a situation ripe for him to make a huge bluff, for if it is, people can just set-farm against this guy and bust him.

One of the keys here is if you check behind and get there, what hands can he have that will pay you off?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Generally I agree w/ this of course, but I like a check here much because I'd really HATE to have to fold to a c/r here. I'd much prefer to bet with weaker as well as stronger holdings on this turn against this particular player, and balance it that way instead. Versus a more straightforward/predictable/non-tricky player I'd be more inclined to bet here.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:33 PM

wow, whoedy is NOT super lag. he is timid.

fire!!!