Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: any astronomers here?

If you really want to do it right, find a local stargazing group and attend their outings. They will have a wide range of scopes on hand and will be happy to let you use the different types, makes, and models so you can make a more informed decision.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to do it right, find a local stargazing group and attend their outings. They will have a wide range of scopes on hand and will be happy to let you use the different types, makes, and models so you can make a more informed decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You can find one in your area here.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:55 PM

ive decided i will need a scope with the "goto" type feature for sure. another requirement would be the ability to handle the deep space stuff, and photography. youll notice ive upped my price range to the $1400 max area.
im not sure if i would be happy with the newtonian style depending on how much maintenance is really required, the difficulty of said maintenance, and maybe the size, although im not really concerned about the size. but the 10" newt apparently would offer greater detail of our planets (althought the rating at this particular site is "fair" for that use. i need to find out what "fair" means)
i also will be contacting a local group if possible to maybe check some out. if any of you smart people could point out some drawbacks to the two below and/or recommend better/similar, that would be cool.
the two below are the early contenders
why wouldnt i want this?

and

option 2
Old 12-22-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be careful of salespeople when shopping.

When I worked in camera stores, we would carry telescopes during the holiday season only.

We would pretty much B.S. our way through any presentation. The question "What can I see?" was my personal favorite; I would launch into a torrent of crap including Jovian moon names and some M- numbers. Usually this would impress enough to elicit the desired "I'll take it!"

I never got a complaint. The average 'scope buyer spends maybe six hours total with the thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, what is there really to look at out there that doesn't lose its "cool factor" after the first few hours or outings?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:29 PM

I've been a stargazer for 40 years. Your first purchase should be binoculars and Pasachoff's guide or similar. The world of binoculars is huge so start at the low end and find out if you enjoy it. 50mm x 7x will be a good starter. 50 x 10 is also ok. Spend $100, $20 more for the Peterson Field Guide.

Simply spending time with a really dark sky and learning your way around is the better half of amature astronomy. A telescope adds some fun but the photos of objects available today make it a bit pointless.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:05 PM

OK, I'm in the market as well. Ever since I bought a Kreighoff shotgun, I have appreciated the importance of high quality tools/toys. I'm interested in taking my own digital photos, and I want the biggest baddest scope possible with the caveat that I've got a couple decent options for viewing near Lake Tahoe so I'd want it portable enough to put in the back of the car. The new RC400 from Meade looks awesome, but pricey at a 10 inch aperture. The LX200 seems a good option also. I'm trying to find if the DSI pro camera supports a MAC but I doubt it.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Be careful of salespeople when shopping.

When I worked in camera stores, we would carry telescopes during the holiday season only.

We would pretty much B.S. our way through any presentation. The question "What can I see?" was my personal favorite; I would launch into a torrent of crap including Jovian moon names and some M- numbers. Usually this would impress enough to elicit the desired "I'll take it!"

I never got a complaint. The average 'scope buyer spends maybe six hours total with the thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, what is there really to look at out there that doesn't lose its "cool factor" after the first few hours or outings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Awe dude... There's some pretty amazing stuff if you're fortunate enough to have access to dark skies. It's not just "seeing" or "looking". It's getting completely lost in the awesomeness of the universe and our existence in it. A few beers won't hurt either.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You can find one in your area here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Concur
American Amateur Astronomers Association