Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Re: RIP - Puggy Pearson 1929 - 2006

[ QUOTE ]
^Soon one of them will acquire the Hellfish bonanza.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 AM

I played with Pug, and he was the rudest player I have ever had the displeasure to sit at a table with. He was particlarly rude to dealers. Pug deserves no respect.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
^Soon one of them will acquire the Hellfish bonanza.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir
Old 05-02-2006, 12:30 PM

When I first started playing there were a lot of the old road gamblers still playing around Vegas. I was kind of awed by them and thought it was really cool to be playing with them. I soon discovered that, with some notable exceptions, the bigger name they were, the nastier they could be. I never understood the reasoning behind blaming the dealer for a losing hand, unless these guys run into so many cheating dealers in their time that they suspected them all. One of the great things about the modern poker explosion is that dealer abuse has become much less prevelent.

As far as Puggy goes, I played a lot with him, both poker and golf, and found him a very amusing character. All the little angle shots he would take were commonplace when he came up. The old timers spent a lot of time trying to get over on each other, and anyone who came into their games. It's just the way it was, and for some of them it became part of their nature.

Puggy's famous move was to act like he was putting a full stack of chips into the pot. He break them down in front of him to prove there were 20, then slide the stack into the pot, palming one off the top when he pulled his hand back. I've heard he told somebody he paid for his house with that move.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:27 PM

Hey Blair,

A few days after Puggy passed, I had this conversation with Barry Greenstein. Barry felt that a lot of the behavior that Puggy and others exhibited towards dealers could be blamed on Johnny Moss, who acted as a role model for that generation of players. Moss was the most brutal of all of them. He'd sentence the dealers to the night shift whenever they dealt him a losing hand, confiscate their chairs and kick them in the shins...brutal stuff. They all looked up to John, and they followed his example. I liken it to kids seeing today's screaming poker broadcasts and behaving similarly at the table. I don't think Barry was excusing it, just explaining.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Blair,

A few days after Puggy passed, I had this conversation with Barry Greenstein. Barry felt that a lot of the behavior that Puggy and others exhibited towards dealers could be blamed on Johnny Moss, who acted as a role model for that generation of players. Moss was the most brutal of all of them. He'd sentence the dealers to the night shift whenever they dealt him a losing hand, confiscate their chairs and kick them in the shins...brutal stuff. They all looked up to John, and they followed his example. I liken it to kids seeing today's screaming poker broadcasts and behaving similarly at the table. I don't think Barry was excusing it, just explaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I knew that it was brutal to play against Moss because of his skills, but I thought that he was a nice old man (except for the old days with the guns-stories).

At least this seems from the WSOP 1973 footage.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 PM

I never saw this guy on the WPT or Celebrity Poker Showdown, therefore, he must not have been a good poker player.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:24 PM

Maybe one of the meanest bastards to sit at a poker table, once put out a cigar on a dealers arm.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:29 PM

Hi Rick, Long time no see.

Mike "rounder" Guzaldo