Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 11:10 PM

Default winning sessions percentage....

how many people that have a winrate of at least 1 bb/100 have a winning sessions percentage of less than 50%. I was looking at my PT numbers and ive found out that i have more losing sessions than winning ones even though my winrate is close to 1.5 bb/100. over the last 85K hands. This doesnt make any [censored] sense to me. Is this normal? how does your winrate compare with your winning sessions percentage? I just thought this was interesting and wondered if anyone else experiences this.

late
Old 01-10-2006, 12:17 AM

Default Re: winning sessions percentage....

I have a winrate of 10-11PTBB/100 at the $25NL tables and only 44% of my sessions are winning.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 AM

In some cases, I've quit playing after an early bad run. Some of these were bad cards, some were me realizing that I was too tired to play and should have never sat down. Other times, I've continued playing, but switched tables after realizing the table conditions were not great. That results in lots of relatively small losing sessions. On the other hand, when conditions are good, I stay. This may result in fewer sessions at good tables, although they tend to be longer.

That's just my theory on what could cause this, but it seems logical. FWIW, for .5/1 to 3/6 (combined), I have 48.11% winning sessions and a winrate of 3.02BB/100 over about 29k hands.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:16 AM

SOme of your losing sessions (or mine anyway) consist of taking 2 orbits and leaving a rockish table or a table when I have bad relative position.

So I would imagine many of your "losing" sessions are 1-2BB losses.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:26 AM

I posted the same question yesterday, although I can't seem to find it now. I have nearly identical stats to what you mention. Win rate of 1.5, winning sessions around 52-55%, although recently has run a little lower than that (closer to 48%). I'm just trying to move up, so I thought that might have something to do with it, but other answers in the thread (making it one or two orbits before realizing I shouldn't be playing, etc..) I'm gonna go back and see how many of those sessions are small losses versus small wins and see if that adds anything.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:19 AM

Due to blinds and the nature of multiway pots, the magnitude of winning sessions are > magnitude of losing sessions. This can even apply to losing players.

Therefore you can be a winner yet lose more sessions than you win. It is more pronounced if you play very short sessions/table jump.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:37 PM

it wouldn't be normal to think that you'd have more bad sessions (albeit small losses) than good sessions (when you run good, you run good).

the winning sessions percentage i would think would not be related to how big of a winner (or loser for that matter) you are. it'd be perfectly feasible to think that you may have 50%+ winning sessions and still be a losing player.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:07 PM

that makes sense. I was wondering how my winnging sessions percentage could be 47% and still have a solid winrate.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:24 AM

I guess I am odd. Over my 100K hands of 10/20 6max and a solid 2.5 bb/100 winrate I have a session win% of 71.13%. This is over 530 sessions.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:00 AM

You play long sessions, get good reads and play real poker. That's why your stats are different to us mutlitable grinders who constantly jump around looking for the soft tables.