Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Re: James Woods insists that NBC mentions his \"184 IQ\" any time he app

[ QUOTE ]
Then what do you propose as a superior method of measuring intelligence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as the way you measure yourself against other golfers, by height.

-Ty Webb
Old 05-03-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: James Woods insists that NBC mentions his \"184 IQ\" any time he app

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it did used to be possible to get a 779 for a SAT portion. I'm pretty sure that when Woods would have taken it, it was scored out of 1600 total and possible to get scores that weren't multiples of 10. I think getting an 800 then meant you got every question right. Can't you miss one or two problems and still get a 800 today?

Not that the SAT (nor IQ tests IMO) is a good a measure of one's intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that SAT score is in any way comparable to today's SAT scores, there is no way his IQ is 184. 780 on math SUCKS.

[/ QUOTE ]

The math part was still easy back then. No questions past trig.

i think this is a joke but yeah the SAT was harder in the "old days"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-03-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sad at all the penis and IQ envy in this thread. If one has it, they might as well flaunt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is being annoyed by egomaniacal behavoir make us envious? That is ridiculous. I find his lack of confidence, despite the fact that he is a famous actor and intelligent person, simply irritating. Why must he perpetuate discussion about his intelligence and penis size? Its pathetic.... as are the comments of most of his defenders on here.

"I don't care about his cock size, im not in to doodz" give me a break like sexual preference has anything to do with the self esteem of JW
Old 05-03-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why is this so hard to imagine? Does EVERY smart person sound like a thesaurus?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, EVERY smart person does not have to sound like a thesaurus. However, the combination of the facts that nothing I have ever heard him say smacked of a high level of intelligence (let alone ridiculously high) and the fact that he brags about it so much ("excuse me, that's a one-eighty-FOUR IQ, not one-eighty"), and most importantly the pure numbers ("1 in 3,500,000" means "it's probably not you," no matter how good you were in "Cat's Eye") led me to make that statement. Do some opponent modeling: if you have IQ points in spades, you probably wouldnt go out of your way to correct someone who said your IQ was four points lower than it actually is. In fact, you probably wouldn't even mention it in the first place (as a sort of bulge-in-cheek example, I've never seen Ron Jeremy go out of his way to mention the fact that he has a huge tubesnake; every time I've ever seen him talk about it on TV he always seems to do so sort of begrudgingly)

I had hoped it went without saying that I didn't say I was 100% sure it wasn't true - I don't know James Woods, and I didn't score his test. I said that if there were only 1900 180+ IQ people on the planet, I'd bet against James Woods being one of them.

For what it's worth, putting aside what I've read of Bill Chen's (where its not even close), I have heard him give an interview once on the radio, and he sounds much smarter than James Woods.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 PM

"How is being annoyed by egomaniacal behavoir make us envious?"

Why would someone get so angry as to go out and trash talk someone and try to ruin their reputation based on some comments that don't effect us in the least.

It's alright to call the comments stupid if you want, but why this disproportionate vitriol towards James Woods, that goes beyond mere annoyance? Has he killed someone lately, or got you fired from your job?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In James Woods' defense, at this year's tournament, his IQ was brought up by the tournament MC. Woods was merely responding to what was said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, by correcting him and saying his IQ was 184, not "180" like the emcee stated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is self deprecating humour. It is the same James Woods who did a hilarious satire of the Exorcist in Scary Movie 3. Those who don't get it obviously have an inferior IQ.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why is this so hard to imagine? Does EVERY smart person sound like a thesaurus?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, EVERY smart person does not have to sound like a thesaurus. However, the combination of the facts that nothing I have ever heard him say smacked of a high level of intelligence (let alone ridiculously high) and the fact that he brags about it so much ("excuse me, that's a one-eighty-FOUR IQ, not one-eighty"), and most importantly the pure numbers ("1 in 3,500,000" means "it's probably not you," no matter how good you were in "Cat's Eye") led me to make that statement. Do some opponent modeling: if you have IQ points in spades, you probably wouldnt go out of your way to correct someone who said your IQ was four points lower than it actually is. In fact, you probably wouldn't even mention it in the first place (as a sort of bulge-in-cheek example, I've never seen Ron Jeremy go out of his way to mention the fact that he has a huge tubesnake; every time I've ever seen him talk about it on TV he always seems to do so sort of begrudgingly)

I had hoped it went without saying that I didn't say I was 100% sure it wasn't true - I don't know James Woods, and I didn't score his test. I said that if there were only 1900 180+ IQ people on the planet, I'd bet against James Woods being one of them.

For what it's worth, putting aside what I've read of Bill Chen's (where its not even close), I have heard him give an interview once on the radio, and he sounds much smarter than James Woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jordan,
None of this backs up your claim. Because you have never heard James Woods say anything smart must mean he isn't? I'm sorry, but I don't walk around people less-intelligent than myself spouting out random trivia, or calculating numbers in my head quicker than they can on a calculator just so they know I'm intelligent. Most people around me would never know how intelligent I was, for two reasons:

1) They probably aren't smart enough to decipher people that much smarter than them anyway.
2) They don't care; and probably wouldn't even remember very long if you said anything smart.

I'm pretty sure this is the case with most people.

People tend to listen to IQ scores, or SAT scores much moreso than trying to gather bits and pieces of info. over the years about you, in an effort to try to pinpoint your mental capacity.

I think James Woods realizes this, and therefore, finds it much easier to say "I'm smarter than you, so suck it.", than to try to prove it to every person who ever hears him speak (in a movie, or in person).

And also, because there are 1900 people alive with an IQ that high makes you assume HE'S NOT ONE OF THEM!? WTF? You have no basis for this. It's got to be SOMEBODY. Why couldn't it be JW?

Are you also one of those people who whines when someone hits a two-outer on the river?! ("This is NEVER supposed to happen!")
Old 05-03-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
None of this backs up your claim. Because you have never heard James Woods say anything smart must mean he isn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is John Searle's lesser-known "Retard Room" argument [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2006, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
None of this backs up your claim. Because you have never heard James Woods say anything smart must mean he isn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is John Searle's lesser-known "Retard Room" argument [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. I'm not the one jealous of a guy with divots on his face.

Face it, there are people out there much, much smarter than yourself. Scary, I know.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. I'm not the one jealous of a guy with divots on his face.

Face it, there are people out there much, much smarter than yourself. Scary, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would do well to read the posts to which you hastily replied. See if you can find answers to all the concerns you voiced; you might be surprised.

As a starter, you might do well to note that I did not call you a "retard" in my previous post - I was making a point about the fact that all we really have to go on to know whether or not someone is intelligent is the behavior they exhibit. It could be the case that there was a brilliant genius hiding in the brain of the retarded kid in my high school who perpetually drooled on himself and incessantly tapped his index finger and thumb together, but I doubt it.

An extra hint would be to think about the difference between "probably not" and "never", an error on which your entire first reply is based. (if you want to argue against the statement "that two-outer will probably not hit on the river," be my guest). A third bonus hint would be to think about why the statement "James Woods probably does not have an 180+ IQ" does not imply "I am jealous of James Woods and his freakishly large intelligence score and/or penis, and therefore I will trash him on an internet forum." In truth, I imagine if I met the guy I'd probably like him - he seems like an intelligent fellow (but probably not 180-IQ intelligent) and he did a great job in Ghosts of Mississippi. (ironically enough, of the two of us, you are the one who gave him the ad hominem with the "divots on the face" comment)

Of course there are many, many, many, many people on the planet smarter than I am (James Woods is almost certainly one of them). That has absolutely nothing to do with the statement I made or the argument in support of it.