Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Help me prevent strep

Ok so I suffer from strep throat and or tonsilitious any where from 1 to 3 times a year. I repeatedly ask my doctor to remove them, He refuses.

He said I am to old [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I am only 27.

He tells me this is a serious operation at my age a would require some time in the hospital. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

He always hits me with Z-pak and or penicilen and some times steriods if it gets serious. If it gets serious if floors me for a good solid week.

So I wake up this morning and feel a little something in the back of my throat

[censored] ME!

Sure enough I think I spoted a little white dot no bigger the tip of a pin but I think it might becoming.

I have been tested time and time again the doc says I am pefectly healthy. Why does this keep happening.

So here is the deal I am about to start a new job soon and am giving notice to my current employer this week or next. I can not afford to fall ill.

Whats your play.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Help me prevent strep

Get to a walk in clinic today and tell them the situation. They will run a culture most likely, and regardless of the outcome will get you a 'script for an antibiotic. I have permanent tonsilitis (but never strep) and this works for me when I am in a bind.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 AM

ya I have done that before every time they do the culture it come back negative then 3 to 4 days later whamo strep.

I do it any way.

I have a good doctor but some times I wonder...
Old 05-03-2006, 11:06 AM

Get a second opinion.

Has it been discussed that you are a carrier?

taken fromr. Jim Mitterando is a family doctor at Cohasset Family Practice and a staff member at South Shore Hospital in Weymouth.(this is a question re:a child but should also apply)

People are often alarmed to learn that they may unknowingly carry disease-related bacteria in their nose and throats. This is not uncommon and not unique to strep. About 5-10% of adults are asymptomatic carriers of the meningococcus bacteria which can cause rare, deadly meningitis.

If your child has repeated strep throats, it is possible that they may be a strep carrier. This can be confirmed by a positive strep test when they are feeling well without any sore throat. If he/she is a carrier, then the strep test is not useful to guide treatment for a sore throat since strep may simply be an “innocent bystander” during a viral cold illness. In that case, your health care provider would determine treatment by examination and symptoms rather than by the test. Strep carriers tend not to spread disease. Furthermore, they are not at risk of developing rheumatic fever. Treatment with antibiotics often does not eliminate strep in carriers. Carriers are only treated with antibiotics in the rare instance that a family member has repeated strep infections and it is suspected that the infection seems to be cycling through the family.

In your case, have your son tested to see if he is a carrier. If he is not, then consider checking the family to see if someone may be a carrier. It is not recommended to simply treat all family members. There is no credible evidence that family pets contribute to spread in the household. Consider rinsing toothbrushes and orthodontic appliances more thoroughly since strep bacteria can survive up to 15 days on a toothbrush that is not rinsed well. If rinsed well, strep survives 3 days on a toothbrush which is not problematic since antibiotics are taken for 7 to 10 days. Another option would be to use a new toothbrush after being on antibiotics for several days.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:06 AM

The culture test has alot of false-negatives. It isn't your Dr., it's an imperfect test. Also, the white spots don't always mean strep. It just means you are fighting some kind of infection. Last time I had them really bad and tonsils were so big they were almost blocking my Pharynx (sp?). It turned out I had a staff infection.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a second opinion.

Has it been discussed that you are a carrier?

taken fromr. Jim Mitterando is a family doctor at Cohasset Family Practice and a staff member at South Shore Hospital in Weymouth.(this is a question re:a child but should also apply)

People are often alarmed to learn that they may unknowingly carry disease-related bacteria in their nose and throats. This is not uncommon and not unique to strep. About 5-10% of adults are asymptomatic carriers of the meningococcus bacteria which can cause rare, deadly meningitis.

If your child has repeated strep throats, it is possible that they may be a strep carrier. This can be confirmed by a positive strep test when they are feeling well without any sore throat. If he/she is a carrier, then the strep test is not useful to guide treatment for a sore throat since strep may simply be an “innocent bystander” during a viral cold illness. In that case, your health care provider would determine treatment by examination and symptoms rather than by the test. Strep carriers tend not to spread disease. Furthermore, they are not at risk of developing rheumatic fever. Treatment with antibiotics often does not eliminate strep in carriers. Carriers are only treated with antibiotics in the rare instance that a family member has repeated strep infections and it is suspected that the infection seems to be cycling through the family.

In your case, have your son tested to see if he is a carrier. If he is not, then consider checking the family to see if someone may be a carrier. It is not recommended to simply treat all family members. There is no credible evidence that family pets contribute to spread in the household. Consider rinsing toothbrushes and orthodontic appliances more thoroughly since strep bacteria can survive up to 15 days on a toothbrush that is not rinsed well. If rinsed well, strep survives 3 days on a toothbrush which is not problematic since antibiotics are taken for 7 to 10 days. Another option would be to use a new toothbrush after being on antibiotics for several days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the post. That was a pretty interesting read. I dont recall if the conversation of me being a carrier or not ever came up.

I guess I should look into a second opinon or see a speacilist.

I am surprised my GF has never had strep or tosilitist before he have been togther for 4 yrs. She does however avoid me when I am ill though.