Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 10:00 PM

Default Another backpacking through Europe thread (Latvia, Lithuania, Sweden?)

So im graduating in June and have some plans to meet up with a few friends in Germany around World Cup time. They can't come out until a little later so I'm looking at somewhere between 10-12 days of travel by myself.

For a little background, I studied in Prague last year, loved it and will probably go back with my friends. While I was there I did a fair amount of traveling , went to Budapest, Vienna and some others so now I want to push a little further east and see what thats all about.

So anyone ever been to Riga or Vilnius, I know there are some Swedes around here. Suggestions for other places are welcome, stuff to do outside of Stockholm for example, how much time could I spend in each place etc...I know there have been some other Europe threads but I havent see much talk about this part. Thanks OOT,
Old 05-02-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Another backpacking through Europe thread (Latvia, Lithuania, Sweden?)

Chrome,
Vilnius is a great choice. Cool old world architecture. The nightlife is good. And it is relatively cheap compared to other European capitals. And the women are pretty hot too.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Another backpacking through Europe thread (Latvia, Lithuania, Swed

[ QUOTE ]
So im graduating in June and have some plans to meet up with a few friends in Germany around World Cup time. They can't come out until a little later so I'm looking at somewhere between 10-12 days of travel by myself.

For a little background, I studied in Prague last year, loved it and will probably go back with my friends. While I was there I did a fair amount of traveling , went to Budapest, Vienna and some others so now I want to push a little further east and see what thats all about.

So anyone ever been to Riga or Vilnius, I know there are some Swedes around here. Suggestions for other places are welcome, stuff to do outside of Stockholm for example, how much time could I spend in each place etc...I know there have been some other Europe threads but I havent see much talk about this part. Thanks OOT,

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to Lithuania a few years ago for a couple weeks...Vilnius is fun, probably need 3 or 4 days minimum...Kaunas was also cool, maybe a little less time there. Getting there and around may be more difficult than the rest of europe since it's not on the Eurail pass. Flying is your best bet, otherwise you have to take a train through Poland...good luck.

KG
Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 PM

So are there any specific museums or other tourist things that you would recommend in Vilnius, or is more the kinda place where you just walk around and take it in. I guess Prague is more like that and I think its great when a city just has that atmosphere and isnt totaly overrun with tourist traps. How about the countryside, any problems with language? The guide books make it look like itd be very cool to just travel around out there, but again its hard to find anything specific that is the clear place to visit...which may be a good thing.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:57 AM

Chrome,
Its funny you were in Prague since they call Vilnius the "new Prague". You're right, it is a town in which you can just walk around and take it in, especially the "old town" section. Lots of cool churches(St. Anne's, St. Peter and St. Paul, Cathedral Square) and old architecture. Gediminas Castle is pretty cool, built in the 13th century. The Gates of Dawn is a site where the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared. Pretty neat even if you are not religious.
If you have time, there are cool places to go to in the country side and by the Baltic Sea. The Hill of Crosses near Siauliai is pretty impressive(google it). During the Soviet occupation, the Soviets would bulldoze the hill and virually overnight, thousands of crosses would reappear. Now ther are hundreds of thousands of crosses. Pretty trippy place. PM me if you want more specific info or other ideas.