Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 04:25 PM

Default James Woods insists that NBC mentions his \"184 IQ\" any time he appears

Is there anything more pathetic than someone who constantly has to point out how smart they are?

Amazing that someone so "intelligent" would put that much faith into one particular IQ test when there are literally thousands of them out there with different approaches and scoring ranges.

In conclusion, James Woods sucks at life and I want him off my TV permanently.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Re: James Woods insists that NBC mentions his \"184 IQ\" any time he app

According to this, about one in every 3,500,000 people have an IQ of 180 or higher. So with 6.5 billion people on Earth, our entire planet should expect to have about 1,857 people with an IQ of 180+.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that James Woods is probably not one of them.

Then again, you could come to that conclusion sooner if you realize that he read the script to "Be Cool" and still agreed to act in it.

And screaming "I AM A POKER GOD" during Celebrity Poker Showdown doesn't help, either.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: James Woods insists that NBC mentions his \"184 IQ\" any time he appears

If it were ever conclusively proven that James Woods has a higher IQ than me, I would seriously consider killing myself.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Default Re: James Woods insists that NBC mentions his \"184 IQ\" any time he appears

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything more pathetic than someone who constantly has to point out how smart they are?

Amazing that someone so "intelligent" would put that much faith into one particular IQ test when there are literally thousands of them out there with different approaches and scoring ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

In James Woods' defense, at this year's tournament, his IQ was brought up by the tournament MC. Woods was merely responding to what was said.

Despite that, the fact that his IQ is even discussed is bizarre. You would think someone that "smart" would realize that no one cares what his IQ is, nor is anyone impressed.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 PM

Default Re: James Woods insists that NBC mentions his \"184 IQ\" any time he app

Not 100% sure on this but I feel like I remember James Woods trying to perpetuate rumors about his large penis in the past. A real class act.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were ever conclusively proven that James Woods has a higher IQ than me, I would seriously consider killing myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Step 1) Google "Stanford-Binet".
Step 2) Munch a bunch of the pills behind your bathroom mirror.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In James Woods' defense, at this year's tournament, his IQ was brought up by the tournament MC. Woods was merely responding to what was said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, by correcting him and saying his IQ was 184, not "180" like the emcee stated.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Making this statement means you are likely behind many people who would surprise you in IQ. Just plain dumb.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Who you calling pathetic"?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to this, about one in every 3,500,000 people have an IQ of 180 or higher. So with 6.5 billion people on Earth, our entire planet should expect to have about 1,857 people with an IQ of 180+.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that James Woods is probably not one of them.

Then again, you could come to that conclusion sooner if you realize that he read the script to "Be Cool" and still agreed to act in it.

And screaming "I AM A POKER GOD" during Celebrity Poker Showdown doesn't help, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this so hard to imagine? Does EVERY smart person sound like a thesaurus?

From Wikipedia:
"Thus Woods chose to pursue his undergraduate studies at MIT where he majored in political science (though he originally planned on a career as a surgeon), but dropped out in 1969, just before his graduation, in order to pursue a career in acting. Woods headed to New York City when he called his mother and told her the truth.

While his mother wasn't thrilled at the prospect of her son pursuing a career as an actor, she blessed him to follow his dream. Before this transition to acting, however, he was considered a brilliant student and was permitted to enroll in a linear algebra course at UCLA while still in high school, having scored a perfect 800 on the verbal portion of the SAT and a 779 on the math portion. James has an IQ of 180, which he scored in the Stanford-Binet IQ test."

Now, I admit, that does seem a bit off in that I'd figure someone who was in linear algebra in HS wouldn't go perfect on the math portion, and I've never heard of a score of 779 for a SAT portion, but this stuff seems fairly checkable. I think Wood's main chip with regards to poker is that he's usually regarded as the smartest guy in the room, and when playing poker, while he may still be, he's surrounded by people that can outthink him.

Either way, it is mostly brought up by others at poker tournaments as a way of qualifying his presence, since his poker accomplishments are weak.

Take a look a Bill Chen sometime. Tell me if he looks like the smartest man in poker to you. Or plays like it.