Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Flop top set against a LAG, help me maximize

Opponent is a LAG. Since this is $100 NL, chances are he isn't very good postflop. The reason I just call the turn is I figure my goal now is to milk pairs < QQ. I'm pretty sure all the money is going into the pot on the river (no matter what I do) if he has an overpair, or even AQ/KQ. With this in mind, should I play it any differently? I'm happy with my bet sizes the way it played out. I could perhaps raise more on the river, or do something on the turn.

River leaves him ~$75 left in a pot of ~$65 after my $25 raise. I figure I give him the best chance of shoving his chips in thinking he has a little folding equity, and if I bet more I make the pot size a little awkward making it pretty obvious I'm pot committed and he is shoving purely for value.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (5 handed)

UTG ($104.20)
MP ($105.80)
Hero ($153.17)
SB ($100.65)
BB ($84.58)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($10.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($10.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $14</font>, Hero calls $7.

River: ($38.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>
Old 05-02-2006, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Flop top set against a LAG, help me maximize

bet flop
Old 05-02-2006, 04:37 AM

Is building the pot a bigger priority than letting him catch up if he is behind?

Someone who raises PF constantly, and continuation bets most of the time all of a sudden checks. He either has an overpair+ and is going broke, or nothing and I can give him a chance to catch up or bluff some of his stack off.

I think against most players getting the pot bigger so playing for stacks becomes easier is best, but what if the opponent is just god awful?

I'm mostly curious about the turn/river, flop can go either way for me although I may be horribly wrong.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:40 AM

they'll catch up when villains straight/flush hits on the turn.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:45 AM

If I dont lead flop I definitely put him on the turn. If this guy is as bad as you say he willcall with any Q or any over pair. He could also have any 2 cards (2 random clubs, a 7, a gutshot draw etc) and you DONT want him to see a cheap river and draw out on you. that river card is really ugly
Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Opponent is a LAG

[/ QUOTE ]
Given the read, you have to bet the flop for value. He will not fold two overcards anyway. I tend to bet 2/3-3/4 pot in these situations.

As played pooosh turn after being raised. There are simply too many draws out there and he has told you he likes his hand.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:46 AM

this is the most common mistake in NL that I see marginal to bad players make.

You flopped a big hand against a player that will likely give you action and get so excited that you decide to slowplay on an EXTREMELY draw heavy flop. The board has 4 to a flush in two suits and 3 to a straight and you are SLOWPLAYING?!?!?!?! After he raises you on the turn you have to make a huge reraise. Get the money in now. Now you are putting money in on the river when this lag could quite possibly have the best hand...or the LAG has a hand that can't call a raise...either way you missed your chance to get paid with your really good hand. Seriously, you have to RAISE somewhere when you have a set...flopping a set and slowplaying it on boards like this is a mammoth leak.