Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Early stage hand against the Grinder

I have read the thread so I will not harp on the preflop. Just this.....Don't do that anymore.

I'm wondering if you are value betting the river or putting out a blocking bet because you want to showdown this hand. And not because of the metagame factor (but that to) but mainly because as you say, you think your 7 is good here. You feel if you check, grinder will most definetly try to take the pot away from you with the a comprabable hand but can't call the same bet. Just wondering if you were willing to either call an allin raise here (I sure hope so at this point) and as well if you were willing to call a bet from grinder if you checked. Seems like you have a read that grinder has air so folding to a bet or worried about getting stacked by a T here shouldn't come into play.

As for showing, I think you just give him some info he doesn't need to have. By not showing he probably puts you on a Q here (minimum) since you are an unknown and wouldn't dare make a play on the river with less than top pair OOP and now he has a false sense of how you will play top pair. When you do hold a strong hand you can refer to how you played this hand and play the opposite. Maybe getting a little over aggro making it look like you are trying to buy the pot. It doesn't really matter as long as you play it differently from how you played you "represented top pair hand". By showing I think you make yourself a bigger target because now he see a total "monkey" limping and calling raises OOP with crap and will value bet you to death thinking your hands are weaker. Now you are in a position where you have to actually pick up a hand to trap instead of picking your spots against him to chop away. I think your reasoning for showing actually has reverse implications here. It might have been different if you have position in this hand as you can represent being a "player" and making a nice move. Here though he will look at you as more of a target since you played this hand in such a terrible fashion.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM

I've been limping 1/2 to 1/3 of the hands preflop at level I. I've been playing like this for a month or so, I have no conclusions yet. My main observation is that you are unlikely to accumulate chips by playing GAP when this is what most of the other players are doing, especially in a fast structure (like live with small stacks). Limp raise is inconsistent with playing this many hands (although this was the first hand I played at the table), my chances are much better playing the board than gambling that he won't call PF.

Is he really calling with anything less than a T on the river (He doesn't have the Q)? 99,88, any 7 are the hands I'm behind, 66,44,33 and ace high/KJ are the hands I'm ahead. Most importantly he probably won't push the river, which was my biggest fear if I checked. My question is still: should it be? Should I let him bet on the river when I am both ahead or behind, or should I block.

2) Having played the hand, would you show. Why or why not.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:00 PM

You don't have a house do you?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been limping 1/2 to 1/3 of the hands preflop at level I. I've been playing like this for a month or so, I have no conclusions yet. My main observation is that you are unlikely to accumulate chips by playing GAP when this is what most of the other players are doing, especially in a fast structure (like live with small stacks). Limp raise is inconsistent with playing this many hands (although this was the first hand I played at the table), my chances are much better playing the board than gambling that he won't call PF.

Is he really calling with anything less than a T on the river (He doesn't have the Q)? 99,88, any 7 are the hands I'm behind, 66,44,33 and ace high/KJ are the hands I'm ahead. Most importantly he probably won't push the river, which was my biggest fear if I checked. My question is still: should it be? Should I let him bet on the river when I am both ahead or behind, or should I block.

2) Having played the hand, would you show. Why or why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I don't see the point in playing 1/3 to 1/2 of my hands even if all the other fish are doing it. I would play speculative hands in late position.

Even if you are playing 40% of your hands, I don't see how you selected 73s. I guess because it is soooooted.

I would fold 75s to the 5xBB raise HU. I might limp/call with that hand if I got multiway action, but I might open fold it.

I was kidding about the limpraise. I might do it with a big hand at this kind of table, though.

I would definately show. This would be great for creating the ideal table image as an unpredictable donk.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:14 PM

Eh, not of my own. But I'd force my parents to sell theirs.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[
I would definately show. This would be great for creating the ideal table image as an unpredictable donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have me sold on it.